cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
surfacethought
Level III

Is there a way to calculate erfc(x) in JMP?

Title is pretty self explanatory. I am trying to do non-linear least squares with a transcendental function that includes the error function (complement). However when I try to define a predict column using the function I was sad to find that there is no erf(x) in the transcendental group of functions. Without being able to calculate the error function there is no way that I can perform this nonlinear least squares in JMP!  Does anyone know if it is possible to do in JMP? I can use an approximation using elementary functions, however I would like to avoid adding any error if at all necessary. Thanks!

--

SurfaceThought

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mpb
mpb
Level VII

Re: Is there a way to calculate erfc(x) in JMP?

erf(X) = 2 * Normal Distribution( :X * Root( 2, 2 ) ) - 1

erfc(X) = 1 - erf(X) = 2 * Normal Distribution(-:X * Root( 2, 2 ) )

where "Normal Distribution()" is the cumulative normal distribution function available in JMP for use in either scripts or column formulas.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mpb
mpb
Level VII

erf(X) = 2 * Normal Distribution( :X * Root( 2, 2 ) ) - 1

erfc(X) = 1 - erf(X) = 2 * Normal Distribution(-:X * Root( 2, 2 ) )

where "Normal Distribution()" is the cumulative normal distribution function available in JMP for use in either scripts or column formulas.

surfacethought
Level III

Alright I think this is very much on the right track, thank you so much. I just have one question, whats the purpose of the colon inside the Normal Distribution function?

Edit: Yeah that's definitely what I needed. You rock! thanks for the help!

pmroz
Super User

The colon indicates that X is a column name.  If you are defining a column formula in terms of other columns, this is how you would reference it.

surfacethought
Level III

Oh okay great that's easy enough .

Thank You!