cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Is it possible to swap the x and y axis in JMP?

I would like to graph an overlay plot. JMP limits me to putting the numerical values on the Y-Axis. I am unable to put multiple numerical parameters on the X-axis? Is there a way in JMP (JSL script even) to swap the axis?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: Is it possible to swap the x and y axis in JMP?

You need to add the bars to your graph and then change the bar style to interval.

2758_IntervalBars.png

Open("$SAMPLE_DATA\Big Class.jmp");

Graph Builder(

Variables( X( :height ), X( :weight, Position( 1 ) ), Y( :name ) ),

Elements(

Bar(

X( 1 ),

X( 2 ),

Y,

Legend( 2 ),

Bar Style( "Interval" ),

Summary Statistic( "Mean" )

)

)

)

-Jeff

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
sfrubin
Level I

You should be able to put numerical values on the x-axis as well. What happens when you attempt this?

Hi SFRubin I am only able to put one numerical parameter into the x-axis. As i am using the overlay plot i want to compare a few parameters on the same plot (overlay). I can do this by putting the mulitple parameters into the y-axis. The customer i am dealing with would prefer to view it with numerical values on the x-axis. Is there any option to swap the axis? or can i alter the JSL code to do so?

sfrubin
Level I

My apologies -- I didn't notice that you were trying to plot multiple x-axis values.

I do not know how to plot multiple x-axis values. I would suggest using separate charts, or you could try something primitive like rescaling your x-axis variables so that they can all be plotted using a single x-axis scale.

Jeff_Perkinson

I don't think it's possible to get the graph you want out of the Overlay Plot platform.

However, you should be able to use Graph Builder to get the plot you want.

You can have multiple numeric variables on the X and Y axes in Graph Builder.

2753_GBOverlayXs.png

-Jeff

-Jeff

Hi Jeff, Thanks for reply. I tried using Graph Builder but can't get exactly what i would like. (i.e. I would like to see the shift on a unit across two parameters. So i want to connect a line between the two parameters for each unit if that makes sense). This can be done in the overlay plot using the 'needle' option. but it doesn't seem to be available in graph builder.

Jeff_Perkinson

You need to add the bars to your graph and then change the bar style to interval.

2758_IntervalBars.png

Open("$SAMPLE_DATA\Big Class.jmp");

Graph Builder(

Variables( X( :height ), X( :weight, Position( 1 ) ), Y( :name ) ),

Elements(

Bar(

X( 1 ),

X( 2 ),

Y,

Legend( 2 ),

Bar Style( "Interval" ),

Summary Statistic( "Mean" )

)

)

)

-Jeff

Absolutely fantastic thanks. I'll pretend to everyone I sorted that myself!! :)

Sorry last question..Can i do this for more than 2 parameters. I cannot seem to get the bar to connect to more than two. Also is there a way to change the marker point of each interval to distinguish it from the other?

Any help would be great.

ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

You can stack the variables into a single column in a new table. Then in Graph Builder, set the data as X, your categories as Y and the "Label" (your original variable names) as Color. Add duplicate point-type elements: one with Summary Statistics = None and the other with Summary Statistics = Mean and Error bars = range. And finally hide the mean point by setting the color to white or transparent.

The example script below should replicate what I just tried to describe. It should draw a line across three variables:

dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA\Big Class.jmp" );

dt << New Column( "h+w", Numeric, Continuous, Formula( :height + :weight ) ); // Add a third variable

dt << Stack(

columns( :height, :weight, :Name( "h+w" ) ),

Source Label Column( "Label" ),

Stacked Data Column( "Data" )

); // Stack table

Graph Builder(

Size( 565, 514 ),

Show Control Panel( 0 ),

Variables( X( :Data ), Y( :name ), Color( :Label ) ),

Elements(

Points( X, Y, Color, Legend( 1 ), Jitter( 0 ), Error Bars( "Range" ), Summary Statistic( "Mean" ) ),

Points( X, Y, Color, Legend( 4 ), Jitter( 0 ) )

),

SendToReport(

Dispatch( {}, "name", ScaleBox, {Show Major Ticks( 0 )} ),

Dispatch(

{},

"400",

ScaleBox,

{Legend Model( 1, Properties( 0, {Line Color( 2 ), Fill Color( 0 )} ) ),

Legend Model( 4, Properties( 0, {Line Color( 21 )} ) )}

),

Dispatch( {}, "400", LegendBox, {Position( {-1, 0, 1, 2} )} ),

Dispatch( {}, "Graph Builder", FrameBox, {Marker Size( 5 )} )

)

);