cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
atwee
Level I

Interpretation of leverage plot axes

Hello,

I am trying to understand how to interpret the leverage plot axes-- specifically why negative x and y values are plotted when my data have none of these. I understand, I supposed, that negative y values could be the result of model uncertainty, but why the x values?

For sake of discussion, if it matters, I am running a multiple regression of rainfall amount (cm), development level of watershed (% developed) and looking at the creek response (flow). I have no negative values, yet the leverage plot shows X values well below my actual data range.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Byron_JMP
Staff

Re: Interpretation of leverage plot axes

JMP adds the mean of Y to the Y-residuals and the mean of X to the X-residuals. So I expect you may have some very negative residuals ?

detail

https://www.jmp.com/support/help/en/15.2/index.shtml#page/jmp/leverage-plots.shtml

JMP Systems Engineer, Health and Life Sciences (Pharma)
atwee
Level I

Thank you. Yes there are some fairly negative residuals but the model appears very good and the Y residuals are nicely scattered.

Byron_JMP
Staff

As long as the magnitude of the residuals aren't concerning... (and without looking at anything) you're probably OK.

When I have extreme values (high or low X) that are far from the center of the data (Y) I'll take a little closer look at that point because it exerts a higher degree of "leverage" on the regression.

JMP Systems Engineer, Health and Life Sciences (Pharma)