cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
atwee
Level I

Interpretation of leverage plot axes

Hello,

I am trying to understand how to interpret the leverage plot axes-- specifically why negative x and y values are plotted when my data have none of these. I understand, I supposed, that negative y values could be the result of model uncertainty, but why the x values?

For sake of discussion, if it matters, I am running a multiple regression of rainfall amount (cm), development level of watershed (% developed) and looking at the creek response (flow). I have no negative values, yet the leverage plot shows X values well below my actual data range.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Byron_JMP
Staff

Re: Interpretation of leverage plot axes

JMP adds the mean of Y to the Y-residuals and the mean of X to the X-residuals. So I expect you may have some very negative residuals ?

detail

https://www.jmp.com/support/help/en/15.2/index.shtml#page/jmp/leverage-plots.shtml

JMP Systems Engineer, Health and Life Sciences (Pharma)
atwee
Level I

Thank you. Yes there are some fairly negative residuals but the model appears very good and the Y residuals are nicely scattered.

Byron_JMP
Staff

As long as the magnitude of the residuals aren't concerning... (and without looking at anything) you're probably OK.

When I have extreme values (high or low X) that are far from the center of the data (Y) I'll take a little closer look at that point because it exerts a higher degree of "leverage" on the regression.

JMP Systems Engineer, Health and Life Sciences (Pharma)