Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Interactive HTML: Why so many unsupported features?

pmd8

Community Trekker

Nov 21, 2014

I spent the last day reading JMP blogs and videos on how to create interactive HTML dashboards. I was very disappointed to find my dashboard largely a screen shot of histograms and tables, with almost no ability to interact with the data from a web browser.

Am I missing something or do I just need to wait for a few version upgrades? Had I known that the output would hardly function online, I would have gone back to copying and pasting graphs and tables.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
briancorcoran

Jun 23, 2011

Solution

The Interactive HTML features are essentially individually developed by element type, like Histograms.  Features are added in what we perceive to be the order of most usage.  So, the short answer is it takes a lot of time and effort to get the elements working, and to wait for 90% to be developed would mean waiting many years to get the feature out, when it could be useful to many users immediately.

JMP 13 should tell you, in the log, what features are unsupported that are making your output static.  This might help you determine if you can eliminate those elements to restore interactivity to your output.

Brian Corcoran

JMP Development

3 REPLIES
briancorcoran

Jun 23, 2011

Solution

The Interactive HTML features are essentially individually developed by element type, like Histograms.  Features are added in what we perceive to be the order of most usage.  So, the short answer is it takes a lot of time and effort to get the elements working, and to wait for 90% to be developed would mean waiting many years to get the feature out, when it could be useful to many users immediately.

JMP 13 should tell you, in the log, what features are unsupported that are making your output static.  This might help you determine if you can eliminate those elements to restore interactivity to your output.

Brian Corcoran

JMP Development

pmd8

Community Trekker

Nov 21, 2014

Brian, thank you for your prompt response. Is there a list of graph and table types supported by Interactive HTML so I know what types of output I'm restricted to use?

briancorcoran

Jun 23, 2011

There is not a list.  The log remains your best option.  The problem is that it is not at the Analysis or Graph level that things cause exclusion, but with the individual elements within the graphic.  So, perhaps a particular type of profiler within a larger analysis is not supported.  Even a smoother line could cause an issue.

We understand this can cause a frustrating trial and error experience for users.  All I can say is we are working as quickly as we can to implement most of the display elements within JMP.

Thanks,

Brian Corcoran

JMP Development