cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
0 Kudos

Name Selection in Column: could be my favorite tool :) if ...

☐ cool new feature
☑ could help many users!

☐ removes a „bug“

☐ nice to have

☐ nobody needs it

Name Selection in Columns from the Rows/Row Selection  menu is great to define labels by selecting different subsets and writing the corresponding labels step by step into the same "label" column:

https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discussions/manual-grouping-extended-version/td-p/540203

The current behaviour of the function is:

a)  just do something if the user entered a value [This feature enables the user to "collect" information by writing values again and again to the same column - without over-writing existing labels in other rows]

b) If there is already a label in a selected row, it is replaced by the new label.

This is the reason why the function can not be used for "multiple response" entries:

A second response just replaces a first one.

My wish: an option to append the entered string, if a selected row already contains a value:

HolgerSp_1-1662204073023.png

This will allow to collect "multiple response" entries like in the example below.

best: a function that automatically handles the commas right (i.e. no comma for the first label).

Additional useful options:

- prepend text

- search and delete text

- search and replace text with another text

dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );
dt << New Column("activity", Character, "Multiple Response");

dt << Clear Select << Select Rows( [2, 4, 8, 9, 20, 25, 26, 35, 36] );
wait(2);
dt << Name Selection in Column( Column Name( "activity" ), Selected( " ,football" ) );
wait(2);
dt << Clear Select << Select Rows( [2, 4, 8, 12, 22, 27, 28, 29, 30] );
wait(1);
dt <<Name Selection in Column( Column Name( "activity" ), Selected( ", Tennis" ), Append=1 );

more wishes submitted by  hogi_2-1702196401638.png

5 Comments
Status changed to: Acknowledged

@hogi - Thank you for your suggestion! We have captured your request and will take it under consideration.

Status changed to: Investigating

@hogi Thank you for this suggestion, it has been submitted and is being evaluated for possible inclusion in a future release.

SamGardner
Staff
Status changed to: Not Planned For Now

We appreciate the suggestion.  We do not plan to offer this in a near term future version of JMP.  Several options exists to do this, including:

• Create separate columns for each name selection step, and then concatenate them
  • Use JMP Script (or, coming in JMP 17, a JMP Workflow) to do this

Writing an addin to do this, with a dialog as you suggested, could also achieve the final result.

hogi
Level XI

OK, I am curious to see the new "JMP 17 workflow"

For those who want a JMP script I will add it to manual grouping - extended version? 

hogi
Level XI

AddIn with many functions to TAG rows: QuickSelect Toolbar 

hogi_0-1702197320532.png