cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Datamom1
Level I

If statement Formula not working

For the past couple years when I copy and paste the formula below it has not worked consistently.  I've tried typing it in the formula box and have at times been succesful but it's not consistent. 

I was finally upgraded to JMP 14 last week and an option that is awesome is that I can preview a data sample to see what the formula result will look like.  However, I can't figure out why this formula won't work.  Below is a screenshot of the formula as well as the preview of the dataset and formula result.

Are there any suggestions?

2019-02-06 JMP formula not working.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: If statement Formula not working

The data looks to be left justified in the preview.  Is the data type set to character for the Behavioral - physical aggression to staff column?  If so, you will need to add double-quotes around the number on the right side of the == operator or change the data type of the column.

Wendy

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
txnelson
Super User

A possible issue may be that JMP may be having an issue with 

Behaviorial - physical aggression to staff

Is this a calculation of a column or variable called

Behavioral

from which is subtracted a column or variable called

physical aggression to staff

or

is this a single column or variable called

Behavioral - physical aggression to staff

JMP can get confused over this.  If it is one column and not a calculation, you should actually state the formula as

If( :Name("Behavioral - physical aggression to staff") == 1,
);

The JMP formula editor will not display the :Name() function, but by you putting into your formula, it will make sure JMP understands what you are specifying.

Jim
Craige_Hales
Super User

Also, if the 1s in the table were calculated, they might not be exactly 1 (which is what you are testing for). The table displays a value that is rounded to about 10 digits. Try

Round(:Name("Behavioral - physical aggression to staff"), 5) == 1

and see if that works better. 

Craige
Craige_Hales
Super User

@ErnestPasour for the awesome comment!

Craige

The data looks to be left justified in the preview.  Is the data type set to character for the Behavioral - physical aggression to staff column?  If so, you will need to add double-quotes around the number on the right side of the == operator or change the data type of the column.

Wendy
Datamom1
Level I

Thank you very much!  That worked perfectly! This will save me a lot of time.