cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Datamom1
Level I

If statement Formula not working

For the past couple years when I copy and paste the formula below it has not worked consistently.  I've tried typing it in the formula box and have at times been succesful but it's not consistent. 

I was finally upgraded to JMP 14 last week and an option that is awesome is that I can preview a data sample to see what the formula result will look like.  However, I can't figure out why this formula won't work.  Below is a screenshot of the formula as well as the preview of the dataset and formula result.

Are there any suggestions?

2019-02-06 JMP formula not working.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: If statement Formula not working

The data looks to be left justified in the preview.  Is the data type set to character for the Behavioral - physical aggression to staff column?  If so, you will need to add double-quotes around the number on the right side of the == operator or change the data type of the column.

Wendy

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
txnelson
Super User

A possible issue may be that JMP may be having an issue with 

Behaviorial - physical aggression to staff

Is this a calculation of a column or variable called

Behavioral

from which is subtracted a column or variable called

physical aggression to staff

or

is this a single column or variable called

Behavioral - physical aggression to staff

JMP can get confused over this.  If it is one column and not a calculation, you should actually state the formula as

If( :Name("Behavioral - physical aggression to staff") == 1,
);

The JMP formula editor will not display the :Name() function, but by you putting into your formula, it will make sure JMP understands what you are specifying.

Jim
Craige_Hales
Super User

Also, if the 1s in the table were calculated, they might not be exactly 1 (which is what you are testing for). The table displays a value that is rounded to about 10 digits. Try

Round(:Name("Behavioral - physical aggression to staff"), 5) == 1

and see if that works better. 

Craige
Craige_Hales
Super User

@ErnestPasour for the awesome comment!

Craige

The data looks to be left justified in the preview.  Is the data type set to character for the Behavioral - physical aggression to staff column?  If so, you will need to add double-quotes around the number on the right side of the == operator or change the data type of the column.

Wendy
Datamom1
Level I

Thank you very much!  That worked perfectly! This will save me a lot of time.