cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Rob128
Level II

How to use max among several column with "get rows where" condition

It seems an easy question but I'm struggling to solve it...

I have this kind of data table  : 

Capture.PNG

It goes until 64 which is the parameter "dim" in my script.

I'm looking for the maximum and minimum of all median_range_mm 1, 2 , 3 ... until 64. But I don't want JMP to look at rows where target_status is different of 5 or 9.

As you can see, when target status is 10 it overranges at 39996.

It is easier to understand with my code  : 

maxValueVar = 0 ;
maxValue = Max( :median_range_mm [dt << get rows where( :target_status == 5 | :target_status == 9 ) ] );
minValue = Min( :median_range_mm[dt << get rows where( :target_status == 5 | :target_status == 9 )] );
For( p = 2, p <= dim, p++,
	name = Column(dt, "target_status " || Char( p ));
	nom = Column(dt, "median_range_mm " || Char( p )); // browse every columns of median_range_mm
	MaxValueVar =  Col Max( nom [dt << get rows where ( name == 5 | name == 9 )] );

If(
		maxValueVar > maxValue, maxValue = maxValueVar,
		minValueVar < minValue, minValue = minValueVar
	);
);

Notice that It works for the first column that I didn't parametered. Also It works if I comment

[dt << get rows where ( name == 5 | name == 9 )]   

Any idea of how "get rows where" or "column max () " work ?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
uday_guntupalli
Level VIII

Re: How to use max among several column with "get rows where" condition

@Rob128,
     I am struggling to understand exactly what you want ? Let me try and show you some steps: 

The following should give you all the rows, where target_status is either 5 or 9, like you have tried. 

SR = dt << Select Where(:target_status ==5 | :target_status ==9) << get selected rows; 

Now, you have the list of rows where your condition is met, the next thing you want if I understand your question is the min and macimum value ? 

MedianValues = dt:median_range_mm << Get Values; 

MedianValuesDes = MedianValues[SR]; // Filter out and get only the rows with target status of 5 or 9 

MaxVal = Max(MedianValuesDes ); 
MinVal = Min(MedianValuesDes ); 

I am pretty sure there are many more ways to do it, but I am trying to break it down into steps so you can follow the thought. If this is not what you are after, can you explain a little more clearly what you are after please  ?

Best
Uday
Rob128
Level II

@txnelson

@uday_guntupalli

Thank you for your answers. Maybe I wasn't clear enough in stating my problem indeed.

The main blocking point is that I can get the Maximum of the column "median_range_mm" with the filter on the column "target_status" with code :

maxValue = Max( :median_range_mm [dt << get rows where( :target_status == 5 | :target_status == 9 ) ] ); // ==> OK
minValue = Min( :median_range_mm[dt << get rows where( :target_status == 5 | :target_status == 9 )] ); // ==> OK

But once I iterate over columns :

For( p = 2, p <= dim, p++,
name = Column("target_status " || Char( p ));
nom = Column("median_range_mm " || Char( p ));
MaxValueVar = Max( nom [dt << get rows where ( name == 5 | name == 9 )] );

MaxValueVar and MinValueVar get no data "." (I guess it is Missing Value character for numeric columns) .

On debugging window I think the type of "name" and "nom" matters. It's not a column type...

The idea is that "name" is the column "target_status 2" then 3 then 4 ... with iteration on p.

Same idea with "nom" which is the column "median_range_mm 2" then 3 then  4 ....

So for p = 2,  I'm looking for the maximum of median_range_mm 2 where "target_status 2" == 5 or 9. 

Then p = 3 ... until 64 

Finally, if "maximum of median_range_3" > "maximum of median_range_2" then "maximum of median_range_3 takes the maxValue : 

If(
		MaxValueVar > maxValue, maxValue = MaxValueVar,
		MinValueVar < minValue, minValue = MinValueVar
	);

Thanks for reading,

txnelson
Super User

I think this might be a solution for what you are attempting to do

min_value = Col Quantile( If( Row() <=64 & ( :target_status == 5 |
     :target_status == 9 ), 
     :median_range_mm