cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Neo
Neo
Level VI

How to supress script dump in log upon closing a chart?

Upon closing a chart the chart plotting script is reproduced in the embedded log of my JSL script (which is used to plot the chart). Any way to supress this? 

When it's too good to be true, it's neither
6 REPLIES 6
jthi
Super User

Re: How to supress script dump in log upon closing a chart?

I'm not sure if there are any specific methods of suppressing the report snapshot (except modifying preferences (do not do this in your script for any other user than yourself)). Depending on your script you might be able to close the chart with << close window if you wrap it in new window

Names Default To Here(1); 

dt = open("$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp");

nw = New Window("", gb = dt << Graph Builder(
	Variables(X(:weight), Y(:height), Overlay(:sex)),
	Elements(Points(X, Y, Legend(9)), Line Of Fit(X, Y, Legend(11)))
));
nw << on close(
	gb << close window;
);

You can also modify your preferences but do not do this in your script for any other user

jthi_0-1706278389149.png

-Jarmo
ErraticAttack
Level VI

Yeah, those "Action Recording" options and the Enhanced Log are seriously annoying and inconvenient.

Jordan
hogi
Level XI

You are kidding, right?
I wished ALL actions were recorded...

Then I could save the whole workflow and reuse it - without any need to edit it and add the missing steps ...
jthi
Super User

We should at least be able to add

Report Snapshot On Close(0)

when we launch platforms to prevent the actions from reports being recorded. Or some other way of controlling them, maybe even session level setting a bit like Names Default To Here(1) (maybe I make a wish list item out of this).

I would also like to be able to prevent JMP from printing the last expression to log, I don't really want to see massive lists or matrices in my log if I unless I print them myself. I tend to end my scripts with Write() to avoid at least some extra print to log.

Edit:

Give us (scripters) a way to prevent reports from being snapshotted when scripting 

-Jarmo
hardner
Level V

I'm curious whether others are finding some significant speed impact from this logging, not just annoyance of seeing things you didn't want in the log?  I think I might be seeing that and it's on my list to investigate further...

jthi
Super User

I think it will require quite large script for the slow-down to happen but it could happen, for example printing large matrices (generally by accident as JMP always "prints" the last line) will have an impact on the script editor due to the log print. And also clearing such prints usually has to be done with Clear Log() as if you try the "quick" option of Ctrl + A and Delete it can be very slow.

This will slow down script editor most likely due to the log print (over 120 000 characters) as this does close fairly fast if nothing is being printed to script editors log (Enhanced log will limit the size it shows by cutting it at some point (seems to be about 10 000 characters) and adding ...)

Names Default To Here(1); 

dt = Open("$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp");
gb_expr = Expr(
	Graph Builder(
		Size(421, 5026),
		Show Control Panel(0),
		Variables(X(:weight), Y(:height), Page(:name), Overlay(:sex)),
		Elements(Points(X, Y, Legend(9)), Line Of Fit(X, Y, Legend(11)), Smoother(X, Y, Legend(12)), Box Plot(X, Y, Legend(13))),
		SendToReport(
			Dispatch({}, "weight", ScaleBox(2), {Min(98.4224795640327), Max(99.45), Inc(0.2), Minor Ticks(1)}),
			Dispatch({}, "weight", ScaleBox(3), {Min(106.55), Max(107.538283378747), Inc(0.2), Minor Ticks(1)}),
			Dispatch({}, "weight", ScaleBox(4), {Min(111.442098092643), Max(112.45), Inc(0.2), Minor Ticks(1)}),
			Dispatch({}, "weight", ScaleBox(5), {Min(111.599046321526), Max(112.499046321526), Inc(0.2), Minor Ticks(1)}),
			Dispatch({}, "weight", ScaleBox(6), {Min(83.4592643051771), Max(84.3592643051771), Inc(0.2), Minor Ticks(1)}),
			Dispatch({}, "weight", ScaleBox(7), {Min(98.55), Max(99.5480926430518), Inc(0.2), Minor Ticks(1)}),
			Dispatch({}, "weight", ScaleBox(13), {Min(92.4715258855586), Max(93.3715258855586), Inc(0.2), Minor Ticks(1)}),
			Dispatch({}, "weight", ScaleBox(14), {Min(118.55), Max(119.555449591281), Inc(0.2), Minor Ticks(1)}),
			Dispatch({}, "height", ScaleBox(2), {Min(63.21), Max(64.11), Inc(0.2), Minor Ticks(1)})
		)
	)
);

lub = Lineup Box(N Col(4));
For(i = 1, i <= 100, i++,
	lub << Append(gb_expr)
);

nw = New Window("",
	lub
);

Write();

-Jarmo