cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
JaneYang
Level I

How to show the actual range in the level values in Graph Builder?

2021-11-29 10_52_16-Untitled 18 - Graph Builder - JMP.pngHi,

In the attached plot, the property of column "ChannelNumber" is Numeric/Continuous. I found it confusing in the grouped values at the top. "0-4" actually includes 0-3, as shown at the bottom; "4-8" actualy includes 4-7. It seems the range at the top always has overlapping values between adjacent levels. What can I do to make this overlap go away (i.e. I want it to show "0-3", "4-7","8-11" at the top)? Thank you very much...

13 REPLIES 13
frank_wang
Level IV

Re: How to show the actual range in the level values in Graph Builder?

Hi Jane

增加一个新的列,将你原先的信道归纳到这3个分类里。(0~3,4~7,8~11)

用新增的列作为X group即可实现你的需求。

心若止水
JaneYang
Level I

Thank you Frank. I wonder if there is a way other than adding a new column...

jthi
Super User

If you have JMP16, you could create Custom Range:

jthi_0-1638165759924.png

Or in this case it might be enough if you just change the Bin Label Style from Cutpoints red triangle in same Custom Levels menu.

Default:

jthi_1-1638165895732.png

jthi_4-1638165956009.png

Using Low to high - 1

jthi_2-1638165928623.png

jthi_3-1638165933621.png

-Jarmo
JaneYang
Level I

Thanks, but I am using JMP14. There is no "Custom Levels" option. The closest I can get it to add a Binning column:

2021-11-29 17_21_18-Binning - JMP.png

Any other ideas please?

Just wanted to point out that if the value is continuous, then what happens if you have a value of 3.9? What about 3.999999? The default is that the intervals are left inclusive. Mathematically it would be written as [0,4), [4,8), etc.. 

It sounds like you might want to consider the data as ordinal if the fractions are not possible. 

Dan Obermiller
JaneYang
Level I

Thanks, Dan. I tried that too. This is what I got after setting it to ordinal:

2021-11-30 16_42_18-Untitled 18 - Graph Builder - JMP.png

ian_jmp
Staff

Unfortunately, I don't have JMP 14 to hand to check - But if you right click on 'ChannelNumber' in the Graph Builder display immediately above, do you see some options that allow you to control the number of levels displayed?

I do have version 14. If you right-click on the channel number, select Number of Levels. From your first example, that would be 12 levels. Not sure why yours defaulted to 3 levels as mine defaulted to all levels. 

I made a simple example, and it looks like this (as a scatterplot rather than boxplot).

Dan_Obermiller_0-1638285501415.png

Dan Obermiller
JaneYang
Level I

Thanks Dan. I was trying to make the ChannelNumber into 3 equal groups, as in 0-3, 4-7, 8-11. Number of Levels to display was set to 3. My original question was how to make it show "0-3","4-7","8-11" at the top, instead of "0-4","4-8","8-11", without adding another column.