cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
rabelardo
Level IV

How to place Box plot on top of Histogram in Graph Builder?

Hi everyone.

Is there a way in Graph Builder to place the box plot on top of the histogram - but within the same facet / cell?

I broadcasted right click > Add > Box Plot.

Appreciate the help.

- Randy, JMP newbie

11596_boxplot on top of histogram in graph builder.png

- Randy
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ian_jmp
Staff

Re: How to place Box plot on top of Histogram in Graph Builder?

No apology needed since it was my confusion. If you use 'Horizontal Layout' rather than "Stack', JMP seems to do a better job in resizing the display boxes to remove the extraneous space:

11620_Screen Shot 2016-05-20 at 15.54.57.png

(I think I recognise that data, BTW).

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ian_jmp
Staff

If you have a table with a column containing a continuous variable (shown by the little blue icon next to the column name), dragging that variable to the 'X' drop zone of Graph Builder should make a single histogram like the ones you show above. Then if you right click in the cell, you should see 'Add > Boxplot'. Having X or Y grouping variables like above does not change this behaviour.

txnelson
Super User

I am making an assumption a bit different than Ian.  I am assuming that what you mean about "On Top Of" is Above the Histogram.  While Graph Builder can not do that, you can do that using Distribution, and then either using the Arange in Rows, as shown below, or by scripting a Sheet Box, you can approximate what you want:

11602_distribution.jpg

Jim
rabelardo
Level IV

Thanks for the suggestions, Jim.

I was wondering if there's a Sheet Box point & click option for a user with  no JSL background?

- Randy
rabelardo
Level IV

Thanks Ian. And apologies for the confusion.

I believe that's how I achieved the original graph (fig. 1).

I was hoping to place the box plots above each histogram, like the ones shared by Jim.

I also tried the distribution platform then broadcasted arrange in rows (3) and Stack but it's taking too much space (fig. 2) unlike the output in the Graph Builder where the graphs are (can be) neatly compacted and adjusted.

- Randy, JMP newbie

fig. 1

11617_change selected color in JMP graphs.gif

fig. 2

11616_distro.png

- Randy
ian_jmp
Staff

No apology needed since it was my confusion. If you use 'Horizontal Layout' rather than "Stack', JMP seems to do a better job in resizing the display boxes to remove the extraneous space:

11620_Screen Shot 2016-05-20 at 15.54.57.png

(I think I recognise that data, BTW).

rabelardo
Level IV

Thanks for the tip, Ian !

I sure hope you recognize it

I'm on Chapter 6 now and I'm learning so much.

Though I have to do a lot of unlearning since my education in six sigma black belt is via Minitab and its workflow / thought process.

btw, can't wait to get a copy of the 2nd edition.

Stacey Hamilton - Developmental Editor, SAS Press, told me it will be out 3rd quarter this year.

Appreciate all the help.

- Randy, JMP newbie

- Randy