cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

How to graph a column chart with error bars calculated in JMP

Hello all,

I am a new to JMP and am trying to understand or figure out how to plot a column chart and include error bars calculated in JMP.

To illustrate my question I have attached a screenshot of the column chart and error bars I would like to generate.

The dataset has 4 replicates denoted R1-R4. I would like to calculate the mean of R1&2 and separately calculate the mean of R3&R4.

The resulting graph should have the same layout as the attached one except for representing the means.

I would also like to have the error of that calculated mean shown for each column.

How would I go about that? I have been trying numerous ways to stack data and plot but I can never seem to get to my desired result. Not to mentioned I have not found out yet how to actually plot the error bars on top of my columns.

I have also attached the dataset which was used to generate the figure.

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks,

censoredcactus

Imagefinal.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to graph a column chart with error bars calculated in JMP

Oh, now I can see the picture your shared.

You need to create a new grouping variable that indicates if the row belongs to R1 or R2, or if it belongs to R3 or R4. Then you can use Graph Builder. Drag Data to Y and District to X. Drag m^2 to Group X. Drag Group to Overlay. Select the Bar element. Then change the error bar in the property list on the left.

area.JPG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

I cannot open your picture. Do you desire a bar chart like this?

area.JPG

Oh, now I can see the picture your shared.

You need to create a new grouping variable that indicates if the row belongs to R1 or R2, or if it belongs to R3 or R4. Then you can use Graph Builder. Drag Data to Y and District to X. Drag m^2 to Group X. Drag Group to Overlay. Select the Bar element. Then change the error bar in the property list on the left.

area.JPG

Hi Mark,

thanks for your answer. I will have a go at it. Your explanation makes sense though!

Cheers,

censoredcactus