Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

How to deal with missing data in JSL: errors when running across data with missing (empty) columns?

jeffub

Community Member

Jan 26, 2012

Hi, I’m hoping to get some help with JSL scripting when there is data missing in a data table.

We are using JSL to execute a query against a database that pulls data into a data table that looks like:

Plate

Compound

M1

M2

M3

M4

A121

cmp001

A122

cmp002

A123

cmp003

A124

cmp004

A125

cmp005

where M’s are all different measurements. We have a JSL script that makes several plots from the data and also does a fit model of

Fit Model(

Y( :M1, :M2, :M3, :M4 ),

Effects( :Plate, :Compound, :Plate * :Compound ),

Personality( Standard Least Squares ),

Emphasis( Effect Leverage ),

Run(

:M1 << {Lack of Fit( 0 ), Plot Actual by Predicted( 1 ),

Plot Regression( 0 ), Plot Residual by Predicted( 1 ),

Plot Effect Leverage( 1 ), Show VIF( 1 ), {:Strain <<

{LSMeans Tukey HSD( 0.05, Crosstab Report( 0 ) )}}},

:M2 << {Lack of Fit( 0 ), Plot Actual by Predicted( 1 ),

:M3 << {Lack of Fit( 0 ), Plot Actual by Predicted( 1 ),

:M4 << {Lack of Fit( 0 ), Plot Actual by Predicted( 1 ),

)

)

Where we are running into trouble is that occasionally we have a failed measurement system and the entire M3 or M4 column will be full of missing values (count = 0). When this occurs, the Fit Model crashes the JSLscript.

What is the best way to script a Fit Model against a data table where occasionally a column will be have no data? Is there an easy way of first looking at which columns contain data and then passing that as a list to the Fit Model platform? I don't really feel like writing a ton of IF statements to check to see which columns are full vs empty and then running a different fit model script across it as we actually have over 10 different measurements and any one of them can be missing on any day.

Thanks for your help.

1 REPLY
ms

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

At least in JMP 9, Fit Model( ) accepts a list argument. Eval() must be used if the list is a variable.

Heres an example on how to build a list with non-empty columns (does not check if full but is easy to add):

Ys = {:M1, :M2, :M3, :M4};

For( i = N Items( Ys ), i > 0, i--,

Summarize( n = Count( Ys[i] ) );

If( n == 0,

Remove From( Ys, i )

);

);

Fit Model(

Y( Eval( Ys ) ),

Effects(...