cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ayman
Level II

How to create isopleths of dissolved oxygen for lake?

I am trying to create an isopleth of dissolve oxygen for a lake as shown below using JMP. The data I have includes month, depth, and dissolved oxygen. 

.Isopleths-of-dissolved-oxygen-for-lake-Rabindra-Sarobar-during-the-simulation-period_W640.jpg  

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

Re: How to create isopleths of dissolved oxygen for lake?

In JMP there are two methods that might work, depending upon your table setup. Likely a contour is what you want

Below is a picture, from JMP sample data Little Pond. Its x axis is spatial distance not time. You will have to customize the color scheme.  A script to create the picture follows.

You can produce a contour with Main Menu Graphs > Contour Plot or Graph Builder. Contour plot has more customization.

From Contour choose Days and Depth for X and Dissolved Oxygen for Y Ask to fill areas.  You can choose your levels for the Z variable (Dissolved Oxygen).

image.png

Names Default To Here( 1 );
dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Little Pond.jmp" );

obj = dt << Contour Plot(
	X( :X, :Y ),
	Y( :Z ),
	Show Data Points( 0 ),
	Fill Areas( 1 ),
	Label Contours( 1 ),
	Transform( "None" ),
	Specify Contours( Min( -4 ), Max( 8 ), N( 7 ) ),
	SendToReport(
		Dispatch( {}, "Contour Plot Graph", FrameBox, {Frame Size( 594, 326 )} )
	)
);

View solution in original post

ayman
Level II

Thanks! 

How can I make the line smoother?

XanGregg
Staff

For smoothing, the most general option is to create a smoothed version of your data in a new column with a regular modeling platform or the Guassian Process platform. And then graph that data.

In JMP 14, there is a smoothness slider in Graph Builder's contour element which will dynamically apply a kernel density smoother. However, it doesn't have the line labeling options of the Contour Plot platform.

contoursmoother.gif

6 REPLIES 6
gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

In JMP there are two methods that might work, depending upon your table setup. Likely a contour is what you want

Below is a picture, from JMP sample data Little Pond. Its x axis is spatial distance not time. You will have to customize the color scheme.  A script to create the picture follows.

You can produce a contour with Main Menu Graphs > Contour Plot or Graph Builder. Contour plot has more customization.

From Contour choose Days and Depth for X and Dissolved Oxygen for Y Ask to fill areas.  You can choose your levels for the Z variable (Dissolved Oxygen).

image.png

Names Default To Here( 1 );
dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Little Pond.jmp" );

obj = dt << Contour Plot(
	X( :X, :Y ),
	Y( :Z ),
	Show Data Points( 0 ),
	Fill Areas( 1 ),
	Label Contours( 1 ),
	Transform( "None" ),
	Specify Contours( Min( -4 ), Max( 8 ), N( 7 ) ),
	SendToReport(
		Dispatch( {}, "Contour Plot Graph", FrameBox, {Frame Size( 594, 326 )} )
	)
);
ayman
Level II

It is working! thank you so much.

gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

Oh, one item that is on a wish list that I hope JMP tackles in the next version is to separate the outline of shapes and the fill.

Since I liked your plot with the contour lines visible and a different color than the fill, I decided to see what it would take to get the outlines.  It's not too bad. Here is the picture.  The script is attached; it was tested in JMP12, 13, and 14. 

image.png

ayman
Level II

Thanks! 

How can I make the line smoother?

XanGregg
Staff

For smoothing, the most general option is to create a smoothed version of your data in a new column with a regular modeling platform or the Guassian Process platform. And then graph that data.

In JMP 14, there is a smoothness slider in Graph Builder's contour element which will dynamically apply a kernel density smoother. However, it doesn't have the line labeling options of the Contour Plot platform.

contoursmoother.gif

ayman
Level II

Thanks!