cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Feli
Level IV

How to create expression columns?

I wanted to play around with expression columns after seeing them in demo videos, but found the info on how to create them actually quite sparse.

I want to create the same sample data set as in Expand Vector Column Addin (TestVec.jmp), by hand (and maybe JSL if nothing else works).

My trouble is that I cannot insert the [] shown - they disappear when typing and JMP adds the quotes "".

Feli_1-1634201105411.png

Any hints on how to create expression coumns (and especially expression vector columns)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Feli
Level IV

Re: How to create expression columns?

According to JMP support, this might be a bug in the combination of expression columns, German keyboard and Windows. As workaround, use copy+paste from text editor or something else.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ian_jmp
Staff

Interesting. I was able to do this by moving to a cell, just hitting 'Enter' to give this:

Screenshot 2021-10-14 at 14.31.47.png

and then moving back up to the first cell and typing what you would expect:

Screenshot 2021-10-14 at 14.32.06.png

Hitting 'Enter' again then assigns the required contents of the cell correctly:

Screenshot 2021-10-14 at 14.32.18.png

(Using JMP 16 on a Mac).

I would suggest sending an email to support@jmp.com referencing this thread.

Feli
Level IV

Yeah, no. Seems my JMP 16 on Windows 10 is doing strange things.

I could get one [ using the procedure you described, but the second closing one ] was refused and I get a strange mixture of "" and other stuff that I did not type in. Very mysterious. Seems that JMP has problems recognizing my German keyboard

Feli
Level IV

According to JMP support, this might be a bug in the combination of expression columns, German keyboard and Windows. As workaround, use copy+paste from text editor or something else.

Greetings all. For anyone interested in a follow-up on this, i can confirm that there has been some work in this area in JMP 17 which should fix these issues seen with Windows operating systems and German keyboards. You should see improvement for all text entry fields in JMP whenever you are inputting symbols. Thanks again for reporting this issue; we do monitor these forums and try to fix issues reported here when possible.