cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
sgulas25
Level I

How to bin my data?

So in my data set I have 4 conditions that I am testing against a variety of variables. We can call these conditions 1, 2, 3, 4. My conditions are nominal. So when I visualize my graphs I will plot conditions (x-axis) against, let's say, a time variable. What I would like to do is instead of comparing my 4 conditions, I want to combine/group some and compare against each other. For example, group conditions 1 and 2 data and compare 1+2 against 3+4. So basically instead of having 4 bars on my x-axis (representing all 4 conditions) I will have 2 (representing two combined conditions). I hope this makes sense. I do not have a lot of experience in jmp or statistics in general and I am stuck!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: How to bin my data?

Hi sgulas25

One way to do this is by recoding the levels of your nominal factor. First select the column with your conditions, then go to the Cols menu and select "Recode."  Recode will show you the original levels of your variable on the left, and has a space to enter their new values on the right, Enter in whatever labels you want for your levels, and since you want to combine levels you will be entering in the same value for 1/2 and 3/4. Before clicking OK I would suggest changing "In Place" to "New Column" so you get a new column with your recoded values rather than overwriting the original values.  With your new column that combines your original levels you can analyze and visualize 1/2 and 3/4 as groups.

I hope this helps!

julian

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Hi sgulas25

One way to do this is by recoding the levels of your nominal factor. First select the column with your conditions, then go to the Cols menu and select "Recode."  Recode will show you the original levels of your variable on the left, and has a space to enter their new values on the right, Enter in whatever labels you want for your levels, and since you want to combine levels you will be entering in the same value for 1/2 and 3/4. Before clicking OK I would suggest changing "In Place" to "New Column" so you get a new column with your recoded values rather than overwriting the original values.  With your new column that combines your original levels you can analyze and visualize 1/2 and 3/4 as groups.

I hope this helps!

julian

sgulas25
Level I

Thank you so much julian, that did exactly what I needed!!!

-Sarah