cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

How to apply column properties to multiple columns?

Hi Guys,

I am trying to change the properties of about 200 columns to Numeric and Continuous. Is there a way to change the properties of all columns in one shot?

Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to apply column properties to multiple columns?

As stated above:

Hi,
select the columns you want to change and choose "Standardize Attributes" in the Columns Menu. There you can change options for multiple columns.

Dahla

Duane Hayes

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Hi,

select the columns you want to change and choose "Standardize Attributes" in the Columns Menu. There you can change options for multiple columns.

Dahla

Thanks, that worked.

As stated above:

Hi,

Dahla

Duane Hayes
abdul_saqib
Level III

Hi,

After selecting the columns, I used the following sequence of clicks to change the 'data type' to Numeric ' + ' Continuous: Cols > Standarize Attributes.. > Attributes tab > Data Type

While I could change the 'Data Type', JMP 13.0 did not let me change the 'Modelling Type' to continuous, as it was disabled! I had to do it individually for each column. 

Is there a way to change the modelling type too for multiple columns, please? Thanks

txnelson
Super User

If you select all of the columns you want to change, you can then go to the pull down menu

Cols==>Standardize Attributes

In that dialog, you can change both the Data Type and the Modeling Type.  Make sure you change the Data Type first.  Character data is always Nominal, so if the columns you are attempting to change the Modeling Type are not Numeric, you will not be able to change them to Continuous.  BTW, I assume that is the issue with your latest posting too.

Jim
abdul_saqib
Level III

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the prompt reply. In order to do a quick test to see if the problem is in the actual data or not, I changed 'numeric/continuous' data of two columns into text (character) data. But, when I tried to change it back to the numeric/continuous, it didn't allow me to do so. (Is it because the data is 'now' nominal as you said, after I changed it to Text Data? If so, it might be the same issue when I was trying to change the other columns in my database).

Thanks

Encl. Screenshots

txnelson
Super User

When changing from Character to Numeric, you need to change the data type first.  You have started that process in your attachment, but you need to click on the "Apply" button, to make that change happen.  Then you can go back and click on the "Attributes" button and select "Modeling Type".  

Jim
abdul_saqib
Level III

Thanks Jim

Yes, it worked now!

So, it's essentially two separate steps one has to follow, when changing text data to continuous numeric in multiple columns:

(1) Cols > Standarize Attributes.. > Attributes tab > Data Type > Numeric

(2) Cols > Standarize Attributes.. > Attributes tab > Modelling Type > Continuous

Or, if one wants to do it in one single step then make sure both 'Data Type' and 'Modelling Type' are checked under the 'Attribute' tab.

Thanks