BookmarkSubscribe
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
Dalu

How do I get prediction/confidence intervals on predictions from a Bootstrap Forest model?

Hi all,

I need to get confidence/prediction intervals on predictions from a bootstrap forest model in JMP pro.

I would like to extract formulas and values in data table columns (predictions & confidence intervals) and be able to visualize the intervals in the prediction profiler as well. This is possible for the least square models by extracting the ‘Prediction Formula’ and the ‘StdErr Pred Formula’ from the 'Save Columns' under the Fit Model Platform. Can the same thing be done for the Bootstrap Forest predictions in JMP 14.2?

I would like to have an interactive answer.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
phil_kay
Staff

Re: How do I get prediction/confidence intervals on predictions from a Bootstrap Forest model?

I don't think there is any simple way to do this.

A bootstrap forest is an average of multiple individual tree models, each built from a different bootstrap sample (with random selection of a subset of variables at each split).

So you could imagine using the predictions of each individual tree as a way to create bootstrap confidence intervals. You might do this by scripting the platform to fit a single tree bootstrap forest and save the prediction formula. And then repeat this process multiple times to have multiple prediction formulae.

You might like to add your requirement as a request on the JMP Wish List.

Phil

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
phil_kay
Staff

Re: How do I get prediction/confidence intervals on predictions from a Bootstrap Forest model?

I don't think there is any simple way to do this.

A bootstrap forest is an average of multiple individual tree models, each built from a different bootstrap sample (with random selection of a subset of variables at each split).

So you could imagine using the predictions of each individual tree as a way to create bootstrap confidence intervals. You might do this by scripting the platform to fit a single tree bootstrap forest and save the prediction formula. And then repeat this process multiple times to have multiple prediction formulae.

You might like to add your requirement as a request on the JMP Wish List.

Phil

0 Kudos