Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Having trouble connecting to Matlab!

yvesprairie

Community Trekker

Nov 25, 2014

I am trying to use matlab functions through JMP but I cannot even get it to talk to matlab of Mac OS (10.12). When I set the MATLABROOT to "/Applications/MATLAB_R2011b" ,

the MATLAB connect command returns UNKNOWN . When I set the MALABROOT to "/Applications/MATLAB_R2011b.app", which is what matlab is telling me when I run the matlabroot commend within Matlab, then I get

SAS Extension "tkintml" load failed in access or evaluation of 'Glue' , Names Default To Here( 1 ); /*###*/MATLABConnection = MATLAB Connect( Echo ); /*###*/

x = MatlabConnection << Is Connected; /*###*/Show( x ) /*###*/;

I cannot find anything about the SAS extension.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Yves

3 REPLIES
Jeff_Perkinson

Community Manager

Jun 23, 2011

Sorry for the difficulty.

Have you tried the instructions here:

To install MATLAB on Macintosh:

1. Invoke the Automator application:
    • Select Finder ► Go ► Applications or...
    • Double click the Automator application
  2. Select the Application document type and click Choose.
  3. In the Actions view, expand the Library tree and select Utilities.
  4. In the Utilities actions column, double-click Run Shell Script.
  5. In the Run Shell Script editor area, replace the current text with the following text:
    export MATLABROOT="{Path to your MATLAB installation}" export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH="$MATLABROOT/bin/maci64:$MATLABROOT/sys/os/maci64:$DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH" export PATH="$MATLABROOT/bin:$MATLABROOT/bin/maci64:$PATH"  /usr/bin/env  /usr/bin/open -a {Path to your JMP installation}
  6. Set the Shell option to /bin/bash.
  7. Set the Pass input option to as arguments.
  8. Replace {Path to your MATLAB installation} with the path of your MATLAB installation, for example, /Applications/MATLAB_R2013a.app.
  9. Replace {Path to your JMP installation} with the path of your JMP installation, for example, /Applications/JMP Pro 11.app.
  10. Save the Automation application to your desktop.

To use the JMP MATLAB support, you must invoke JMP using this application to insure proper setup of the MATLAB runtime environment.

-Jeff
yvesprairie

Community Trekker

Nov 25, 2014

Thank you very much Jeff, that solved most of my problem. I can now get JMP to talk to Matlab correctly. However, if at the end of a script I have a Matlab term() statement (which will terminate the session correctly), then invoking at matlab init() statement to reopen the connection won't work. SO if a try to run a simple script twice in a row, the first one will work but the second will not because it wasn't able to re-establish a connection with matlab. This, however, may not have anything to do with my original problem.

Many thanks again, Yves

Jeff_Perkinson

Community Manager

Jun 23, 2011

I'm glad to hear that you got it working but sorry that you're now having a different problem.

I'm not sure what's going on there. It's probably best to open a track with our Tech Support department by sending email to support@jmp.com.

Post back here when you find a resolution.

-Jeff

-Jeff