cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New to using JMP? Hit the ground running with the Early User Edition of Discovery Summit. Register now, free of charge.
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
sowiakg
Level I

Graph Builder: how do I set a custom name for the X Group?

(JMP 17)

My database has a categorical column that I would like to use as the Group X parameter in my graph. However, that column has a very convoluted name that looks messy when added. I am aware that I can remove it by right click -> uncheck "Show Title", but is there an option to manually set a 'simple' name for that section, similar to naming axes? I can't find such an option in the right-click menus, but perhaps there is a piece of JSL that would work?

Thank you!

Greg

3 REPLIES 3
txnelson
Super User

Re: Graph Builder: how do I set a custom name for the X Group?

If the below is what you are talking about is the graph below, then all that has to be done is to double click on the axis title you want changed and then type in the new value

txnelson_0-1725484801336.png

txnelson_1-1725484841944.png

txnelson_2-1725484886959.png

Jim
sowiakg
Level I

Thanks for your response! I am looking specifically for X Group. Here is an example:

sowiakg_0-1725491951010.png

Is there any way to change this without changing the column name directly?

Thanks,

Greg

txnelson
Super User

My first thought is to Create a transform column and then give it a nice short name, and then use it as the X grouping column

Right click in the selection window on the X grouping column you want to use, and select Formula.  Just click on OK.  Then in the selection window, right click on the new transform column and select Rename, then change the name to the nice short name you want to use.

Finally, drag the new transform to the X Grouping drop area.

Jim