cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Ceg1
Level II

GLM Poisson regression with Firth Adjustment and comparison with R

Hi,

I came across a strange results when creating Poisson regression model in JMP and comparing them to R.

I am modelling count (Y variable), using model with intercept and single categorical variable mod ("Before mod"/"Modified"). I am using Log(Time) as my offset variable. My sample size is 60.

When running this model, my Parameters Estimates Std Error are very big (1291), but both parameters are significant.

Ceg1_3-1687440599801.png

Isn't it contradictory, I think that significant parameter, should have low std error? 

What is more, Intercept estimate is outside of the Lower and Upper CL. Can those two be a bug? Or such information would be an indication to reject poor model.

Additionally, I run a platform with Firth Adjusted Maximum Likelihood, which significantly reduced std error and returned a valid model. 

Ceg1_1-1687440367789.png

But I recreated this model in R, using glm and brglm2 libraries [glmPoisson_firth <- glm(Y ~ mod + offset(Log.Time.), data = data, family = poisson(link = "log"), method = "brglmFit", type = "AS_mean")]. Parameters estimates and standard errors are same, but in contrast to JMP R shows that mod variable is insignificant (R p-value 0.10 vs JMP p-value 0.0062). Can you explain where does the difference come from? 

Ceg1_2-1687440489195.png

Regards,

Ceg1

1 REPLY 1

Re: GLM Poisson regression with Firth Adjustment and comparison with R

The likelihood ratio test (LRT) is not based on the standard error. It is based on the chi-square associated with adding this term to the model.

The estimate of the intercept, -17.6756, is within the stated confidence interval, -178.3917 to -9.458.

The R function uses a Z test assuming normal errors and known variance. JMP is using the LRT, which provides better coverage.