Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
BigShaftie
Level I

Formula and graphbuilder

Dear Community,

I need your help and I would like to apologize if it is a stupid question.

I’m struggling with the graphbuilder.

I would like to use a column including a formula option for plotting it in the graphbuilder window.

Nevertheless, it only works when all the parameters are included in the formula (the two following pictures).

Formula 3.PNG

When I try to make my formula “flexible” with a link to other columns for adapting the formula, it doesn’t work.

Formula 1.PNG

Data table.PNG

I got the following plot when I click on points (first picture) and no plot when I click on the formula option (second picture).

Graphbuilder 1b.PNG

Graphbuilder 1a.png

I would really appreciate if someone could help me to find a solution.

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
dale_lehman
Level VII

Re: Formula and graphbuilder

I think there is a glitch in that button.  When I experimented, I ran into the same thing you did - except for one try.  But I couldn't get the graph to show up after that.  Then I closed the file I was working on and tried it again and it worked every time.  I can't explain it but it doesn't seem to matter what order I do things in (Y variable, X variable, graph button).  When something works sometimes and not others with all explanations ruled out, I think it is a glitch.

BigShaftie
Level I

Hi dale_lehman,

Thank you for your answer. I really appreciate.

I don't think that for my case it is a glitch. I have faced that by creating new tables with the same idea.

Tak

hogi
Level XI

This happens because you try to plot a formula with 3 inputs vs. a single X-Axis.

The table shows that the 2nd and 3rd input is constant.

But Graph Builder doesn't know, because the parameters are not used in Graph Builder.

And this is the solution: Just put the parameters somewhere where they don't hurt (Group X/Y) - and you will get the curve ...

hogi_0-1694197519448.png

Names Default to Here(1);
dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );

dt << New Column( "age/height",	Formula( :age / :height ));

dt << Graph Builder(
	Variables( X( :height ), Y( :"age/height"n ), Group X( :age ) ),
	Elements( Formula( X, Y, Legend( 11 ) ) )
)

BigShaftie
Level I

Hi Hogi,

Tak for your answer.

Now, I can understand the problem.

Best regards,

Alexandre