cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
cwillden
Super User (Alumni)

Force Open() to Use Excel Wizard Without Changing Preferences

Hey JMP Community,

I'm building an application where a user can import data from Excel or from a JMP table.  I'm getting the file path via Pick File().  If they select an Excel file, I want to coerce JMP to use the Excel Wizard without changing the user's preferences.  In the Scripting Index, I found something called Excel Open Method() which has an option "Use Excel Wizard"; however, there is not an example.  It is a message, but does not specify what type of object is compatible with that message.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Cameron

-- Cameron Willden
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cwillden
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Force Open() to Use Excel Wizard Without Changing Preferences

Of course, I immediately found the answer after posting. In Chapter 9 of the Scripting Guide:

"Note: To use the Excel Wizard, you must specify the Excel Wizard option in the argument as in Open( "$SAMPLE_IMPORT_DATA/Team Results.xlsx", "Excel Wizard" );."

Instead of deleting the post, I figured I'd leave the answer here if anyone else ever needs it.

-- Cameron Willden

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
cwillden
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Force Open() to Use Excel Wizard Without Changing Preferences

Of course, I immediately found the answer after posting. In Chapter 9 of the Scripting Guide:

"Note: To use the Excel Wizard, you must specify the Excel Wizard option in the argument as in Open( "$SAMPLE_IMPORT_DATA/Team Results.xlsx", "Excel Wizard" );."

Instead of deleting the post, I figured I'd leave the answer here if anyone else ever needs it.

-- Cameron Willden