Share your ideas for the JMP Scripting Unsession at Discovery Summit by September 17th. We hope to see you there!
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
Gil
Gil
Level I

Factor within factor

Hello,

I want to test the effect of 3 categorical factors on 5 lots of donor cells and 5 lots of patient cells. The question I'm trying to answer is what the effect on the donor cells as whole (not on the individual lots) and the same for the patient cells. In addition,if possible, I want to set blocking in order to split the experiment  to few days but at the same time refrain from using a lot in more then one day (cost perspective). Can you suggest a way to set up the DoE?

Thank you,

Gil 

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: Factor within factor

First of all, I recommend using Custom Design in JMP. It is the most flexible method of designing an experiment. It also reproduces most of the classical designs when they are optimal, but it often produces a better design.

It sounds like you have four categorical factors. There are three factors that you mentioned that are associated with the treatment and then one for type of cell (donor, patient). Does that make sense or you do not want to model/test this aspect? Do you see lot as a replicate or as a block? If you intend to use only a few days, then it might not be worth blocking on day because you will have very few samples of day to estimate the random effect.

Learn it once, use it forever!
Highlighted
Gil
Gil
Level I

Hi Mark,

I want it to be 4 categorical design but the problem that if I choose the factor as Type of Cell (Donor Patient), I would not be able to test 5 lots of each. It would be idle if I could design it as you mentioned and then each of the levels could serve as a factor that includes 5 levels (for example: Donor: 5 lots). Is there a way to do that?

Maybe I can just design it as 4 categorical with one lot of donor cell and one lot of patient cells and then tell JMP to repeat the run 5 sand in each time I would randomly choose different patient lot and different donor lot?

Thank you 

Highlighted
phil_kay
Staff

Some more information would be useful.

- Are donor_cell_lot and patient_cell_lot separate factors?
- Does each run require 1 lot of donor cells and 1 lot of patient cells?
- donor_cell_lot and patient_cell_lot might be better thought of as random factors - does that make sense?
- Can you use each lot more than once?

It might be best if you could attempt to create a design, post it here, and let us know what the problem is.

Regards,
Phil
Highlighted
Gil
Gil
Level I

Hi Phil,

in the design below the Donor and Patient lots are entered as separated factors, which would be great in order examine the interaction between each of them to the other factors (for example X1 and donor cells). The problem is that these factors cannot be placed in the same run (it's or Donor or Patient). 

The second option would be to place all lots under one factor but at that case, I would not get I'm looking for. 

In response to your question below: the lots could be repeated, but I assigned the changes to Hard, so if I block it to few days, I would not need to use to many vials.

Please tell me what you think,

Gil

Example JMP Design.png 

Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.