cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Exclude and Show Data in Fit Y by X and Graph Builder

I am doing some analysis with data that is in error. However, when I exclude it, I still want it to show on the graph for some different reasons. I know this should be very simple, but I am having a hard time finding any pointers on how to do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: Exclude and Show Data in Fit Y by X and Graph Builder

Using Big Class example again. Using Oneway platform like you with height versus age and ANOVA.

Capture.PNG

I enable Automatic Recalc feature and then I select rows with age = 14 and hide them.

Capture.PNG

The data disappear from the plot but all of the ANOVA results remain as they were. Now unhide and exclude the selected rows where age = 14.

Capture.PNG

The selected rows reappear but the ANOVA results change.

View solution in original post

XanGregg
Staff

One way to get the effect of show+exclude in Graph Builder is to use the Frequency role.

Select the points you want to keep.

Right-click > Rows > Name Selection in Column...

This will create a new column with 1s for the selected rows and 0s for the other rows.

Use that column in the Freq role (lower right corner). You might also use it in the Overlay or Color roles to give those values a different appearance.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

The Exclude and Hide row states are independent. Be careful not to select the Exclude and Hide commands together.

I am only selecting exclude and it still hides the data.

Which platform are you using?

I have this problem with both JMP 13 and early adopter 14.

Understood, but which platforms are you using? You launch platforms using the Analyze and Graph menu commands.

Oops. Sorry. Platforms I have this issue on are Fit Y by X and Graph Builder.

txnelson
Super User

Graph Builder does not honor the independent Hide/Exclude capability.  From the Graph Builder documentation

Note: Any excluded rows are hidden in graphs.

Fit Y by X does honor the independence, however, if the graph you are attempting to display, requires calculations to generate it, rather than just displaying raw data points, those points will not be displayed if the Exclude is being used.

Jim

When I use Fit Y by X, even with just graphing, I get the following: Figure 1 (excluding point) and Figure 2 (including point). As far as I am aware, there are no calculations involved

Figure 1 (excluding point)Figure 1 (excluding point)

Figure 2 (including point)Figure 2 (including point)

Using Big Class example again. Using Oneway platform like you with height versus age and ANOVA.

Capture.PNG

I enable Automatic Recalc feature and then I select rows with age = 14 and hide them.

Capture.PNG

The data disappear from the plot but all of the ANOVA results remain as they were. Now unhide and exclude the selected rows where age = 14.

Capture.PNG

The selected rows reappear but the ANOVA results change.