Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

How to display labels on columns or in column side bar

PaulMac

New Contributor

Aug 2, 2017

Hi guys,

First time posting. Got a very simple query I hope a kind soul can help me with. I did search but didn't find anything.

Just got the huge World Value Survey. Initially imported it into SPSS as that's what I'm used to, and noted down all the variable names and labels. But then realised SAS was better for data exploration visually. However when I put it into SAS I don't get an easy way to view both column names and labels, they're all just V1 V2 V3 V4. The only way for me to check what these 1000+ variables are is by right clicking each to get column info it seems, and that's just not practical. 

Could anyone please tell me how to view the labels (Which it has) in a more intuitive way e.g. labels instead of column names in the data table, or by the columns section on the side?

Hopefully my picture makes it clear.

Thanks for your time.

Paul

2 REPLIES
stan_koprowski

Community Manager

Aug 8, 2012

Hi Paul,

Use SPSS labels for column names should be the default when opening the file directly from within JMP.

Can you check your preferences to ensure the display SPSS labels check box is enabled?

JMP-->Preferences-->General

USE SPSS LABELS FOR COLUMN NAMESUSE SPSS LABELS FOR COLUMN NAMES

PaulMac

New Contributor

Aug 2, 2017

Hi Stan,

That's great, thank you. It works just fine for one of the files. For the other (less than half the size) file, I get an error "insufficient error to open file." I understand from some googling that may be to do with long string names. But in any case, that's not necessarily the main issue.

I actually downloaded separate files for the World Values Survey, the JMP ones and the SPSS ones, so I shouldn't actually need to import; indeed, if there's a way, I'd just like to know how to display SAS JMP labels in such a way that they're visible without accessing column info. 

Is that possible? Again, the picture in my original post should help.

Paul