Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Excel Import

ebr634

Community Trekker

Feb 24, 2012

Hi -

Does anyone know a way to keep a data table linked to the excel file it was orginally created from?

I need to be able to refresh the data table to capture any changes or new rows in the excel file.

I used Database > Open Table to create the table originally, and can see the script, but the option to run is greyed out.

Thanks for any help.

Mark

5 REPLIES
ron_horne

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

hi Mark,

try to copy and past the script to script window, close the table and then run it from the script window.

ron

ebr634

Community Trekker

Feb 24, 2012

thanks ron.

i tried the suggestion, and have it creating a new table. if I'm trying to keep a number of calculations (columns) running off the original data set, is there a way to replace the column data rather than create a new table?

mark

ron_horne

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

i am not aware of udating a jmp table with a colum in excel. what i would do is import the updated excel file and then use "tables >> update" or "tables >> join" in jmp.

hope it helps

ron

mpb

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

You can add JSL code to your import script to create new columns which recreate the formulas you are using. An out of context example:

New Column( "Oxy times Age",

Numeric,

Continuous,

Format( "Best", 12 ),

Formula( :Oxy * :Age )

)

If you do this then you will always be importing the whole Excel file and recalculating the formula columns.

Wendy_Murphrey

Jun 23, 2011

Hi, Mark:

Take a look at the "An Example: Automating JMP From Excel 2007" section of Chapter 10 in the JMP 9 Scripting Guide.  This example demonstrates how a JMP data table (originating from Excel) can be updated automatically when individual cells are changed in the Excel worksheet.

Hope that helps!

Wendy