cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
LNitz
Level III

Dragging variables to a graph builder map

While following the Graph Builder tutorial instructions for making a US map of States, I dragged the state name to the map corner and generated the outline. Then I dragged a continuous variable to the color drop zone. More than half the time that I try this, I get the following error code:

Unquoted JSL name processed as a literal. For maximum compatibility, please use quotes. 2 times in access or evaluation of 'Geodesic US' , Geodesic US/*###*/

The name of my variable is "veterans" and contains the count of veterans by state in an administrative data set. I am not directly doing any JSL programming.

How do I shut off this error?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dragging variables to a graph builder map

Thanks to everyone for their detective work. It looks like this was a mix of issues, including one defect, one preference, and one case of sample files needing to be updated. I can report that in JMP 14, all of these issues were addressed and the original issue is resolved.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

That's odd. I tried to reproduce the problem using a simple dataset but couldn't.

• What version of JMP are you using?
  • Does your column name contain the double quotes as you showed, i.e. "veterans" or veterans?
  • You said that it only happens some times. Once you've found a variable that generates the error does it happen every time with that variable?
  • If so, does renaming the variable avoid the error?
  • Can you share any data that reproduces the problem?
-Jeff
LNitz
Level III

Jeff, this is part of a CFPB complaint file.  It covers several years of complaints against money transfer agencies.  The file contains a variable for state.   When I drag this variable to the corner cell to designate the map shape file, the map shape is drawn, but I get the arcane error about quoted JMP scripting convention.  I am dragging a variable name, the contents of which is a two-letter postal state name designator.

I  am running JMP Pro 13 on a 64 bit Windows 10 installation on a Dell T7600 workstation .

I have not renamed the variable "state." nor have I tried to put quotes on the two letter combinations that make up the data in the variable.

It is not that I cannot complete the maps, but I cannot work efficiently if every time I revise the map I must unset the error banner.

Thanks,

Larry Nitz

Thanks,

Larry Nitz

LNitz
Level III

More precise answer:

The state name column is called simply state, without quotes.

The contens of the column is a 2 letter abbreviation:  AZ  AK, HI, etc.

Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

Thanks for sharing the data and clarifying what you were doing.

With some assistance from @XanGregg I was able to figure out that it's a bug related to the Allow Unquoted Strings in JSL preference.

Microsoft_LyncScreenSnapz004.png

To avoid the message, set that preference to "Yes (no warning)".

We'll see if we can address this in a future maintenance release.

-Jeff

Thanks to everyone for their detective work. It looks like this was a mix of issues, including one defect, one preference, and one case of sample files needing to be updated. I can report that in JMP 14, all of these issues were addressed and the original issue is resolved.