cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
LNitz
Level III

Dragging variables to a graph builder map

While following the Graph Builder tutorial instructions for making a US map of States, I dragged the state name to the map corner and generated the outline. Then I dragged a continuous variable to the color drop zone. More than half the time that I try this, I get the following error code:

Unquoted JSL name processed as a literal. For maximum compatibility, please use quotes. 2 times in access or evaluation of 'Geodesic US' , Geodesic US/*###*/

The name of my variable is "veterans" and contains the count of veterans by state in an administrative data set. I am not directly doing any JSL programming.

How do I shut off this error?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dragging variables to a graph builder map

Thanks to everyone for their detective work. It looks like this was a mix of issues, including one defect, one preference, and one case of sample files needing to be updated. I can report that in JMP 14, all of these issues were addressed and the original issue is resolved.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

That's odd. I tried to reproduce the problem using a simple dataset but couldn't.

• What version of JMP are you using?
  • Does your column name contain the double quotes as you showed, i.e. "veterans" or veterans?
  • You said that it only happens some times. Once you've found a variable that generates the error does it happen every time with that variable?
  • If so, does renaming the variable avoid the error?
  • Can you share any data that reproduces the problem?
-Jeff
LNitz
Level III

Jeff, this is part of a CFPB complaint file.  It covers several years of complaints against money transfer agencies.  The file contains a variable for state.   When I drag this variable to the corner cell to designate the map shape file, the map shape is drawn, but I get the arcane error about quoted JMP scripting convention.  I am dragging a variable name, the contents of which is a two-letter postal state name designator.

I  am running JMP Pro 13 on a 64 bit Windows 10 installation on a Dell T7600 workstation .

I have not renamed the variable "state." nor have I tried to put quotes on the two letter combinations that make up the data in the variable.

It is not that I cannot complete the maps, but I cannot work efficiently if every time I revise the map I must unset the error banner.

Thanks,

Larry Nitz

Thanks,

Larry Nitz

LNitz
Level III

More precise answer:

The state name column is called simply state, without quotes.

The contens of the column is a 2 letter abbreviation:  AZ  AK, HI, etc.

Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

Thanks for sharing the data and clarifying what you were doing.

With some assistance from @XanGregg I was able to figure out that it's a bug related to the Allow Unquoted Strings in JSL preference.

Microsoft_LyncScreenSnapz004.png

To avoid the message, set that preference to "Yes (no warning)".

We'll see if we can address this in a future maintenance release.

-Jeff

Thanks to everyone for their detective work. It looks like this was a mix of issues, including one defect, one preference, and one case of sample files needing to be updated. I can report that in JMP 14, all of these issues were addressed and the original issue is resolved.