cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
manny_uy
Level III

Does anyone know if there is an Add-in to read MATLAB data tables into JMP?

I am trying to open a data table that was generated from MATLAB. Apparently, it is not like opening an Excel or Text file.

7 REPLIES 7
ian_jmp
Staff

Re: Does anyone know if there is an Add-in to read MATLAB data tables into JMP?

If you have MATLAB on the same machine as JMP, this should help: Working with MATLAB

manny_uy
Level III

Ian,

It does not seem economical to spend money to install MATLAB so that I can open a MATLAB data file. Besides, if one already has MATLAB, opening up a MATLAB file is then not a problem. I was looking for someone to write an ADD in so that I don’t need to purchase MATLAB.

Manny

You don't need MATLAB on your computer to be able to work with files from Matlab. If your files are in matlab data format (.m or .M), JMP Pro has the capability to upload it. All you need to do is Click on File>Open and in the pop-up window select from the file type .m or .M and >open.

Jenkins Macedo
manny_uy
Level III

Macedo,

Thanks for pointing this out for me. I should have looked more carefully at all possible files that JMP can open.

Now for another problem – how can I open data files in Microsoft Access?

Manny

If you have the data is MS Access, save it as an Excel file and input that to JMP is one solution. Here is a quick link to JMP Help on Data Import processes.

Import Your Data

However, if you have an Access Database on the same computer or network as JMP, you can use JMP Open Database Connectivity) ODBC to access file in an MS Access database. Here is a link: Import Data from a Database

Jenkins Macedo

Why would you purchase Matlab, if JMP can open it or is your question more specifically about a JMP Add-in that is MatLab specific? Either way, it isn't viable given that JMP already has that capability to upload Matlab file and than transform it to a .jmp data file.

Jenkins Macedo
ian_jmp
Staff

Not that it matters now, but in my attempt at multi-tasking the first line of my reply was omitted:

Please see: http://www.jmp.com/support/help/About_Importing_Data_to_JMP.shtml#468168

If you have MATLAB on the same machine as JMP, this should help: Working with MATLAB