Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Debug Matlab Code while in JSL

gene

Community Trekker

Jun 23, 2011

I've used ExcelLink for many years as a Matlab algorithm development aid.  It always let me step through the analysis code in Matlab while using Excel to visualize the results.  I'm trying to switch to using JSL because I like the table handling features much better.  I wish I could "see" inside the Matlab code when I call it from JSL.  As it is now, I get no indication the Matlab code has a problem, whether it's an error in the code or that the code isn't on the Matlab path.  So I have to do all the Matlab development outside of JMP and then hook it together at the end.

It would also be very cool if I could open a new excel file from a template and push a data table from JSL into one of the worksheets.  That would help me when I use excel as my algorithm dashboard.

Gene Davis

2 REPLIES
danielvalente

Jul 26, 2013

Hi Gene --

Executing a MATLAB Control (Visible(1)); command will show a MATLAB Command Window that you can interact with from the instantiation of MATLAB that JMP creates. The default is to make this invisible so that MATLAB runs completely behind the scenes when called from JMP, but there are often situations during code development where it would be advantageous to use commands run from the Command Window.

I wonder if this would help you for your debugging tasks?

Check out the JMP blog: jmp.com/blog
gene

Community Trekker

Jun 23, 2011

Thanks Dan,

Tried that.  The Matlab I can see is not the full interface I'm used to.  Must be some Matlab init Startup I need in the JMP directory.  I may need to punt short term and try to run JSL from the excel VBA code.  Id that possible?

Gene