Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Data filter functionality?

poulravn

Community Trekker

Jan 25, 2012

Hi,

I use data filters a lot in connection with graph builder. I create a graph and apply formatting etc. Then I open the datafiler and select a subset of my data to be displayed. Often it is possible to select according to an ordinal or character value of a column. This limits down what is displayed on the graph.

I can then save the data table and the script that created the graph.

However, sometimes I want to revert to another selection in the data filter, eg. by selecting according to other values of the column. But I cannot go back to the data filter view? Am I right? If I have saved and closed the data set with its graph script and want to continue at a later time, then I cannot work with the same data filter again.

I want to circumvent this situation.

Thanks in advance

Poul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

In JMP 10 you can use a local data filter. If you select Script/Local Data Filter under the Graph Builder red triangle drop-down, you will get a data filter within the Graph Builder report window. The local data filter and current settings are included in the script if the graph builder report is saved to data table.

Alternatively, a global data filter (i.e. invoked from the Rows menu) can be saved as a script separate from the graph script.

3 REPLIES
Solution

In JMP 10 you can use a local data filter. If you select Script/Local Data Filter under the Graph Builder red triangle drop-down, you will get a data filter within the Graph Builder report window. The local data filter and current settings are included in the script if the graph builder report is saved to data table.

Alternatively, a global data filter (i.e. invoked from the Rows menu) can be saved as a script separate from the graph script.

poulravn

Community Trekker

Jan 25, 2012

Thansk, I kind of figured that out. But you also indirectly answer the question: Neamely that the filter cannot be evoked in the state it was left. One has to switch to pure scripting. But that will be OK.

Thanks

Poul

ms

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

A local data filter does not affect the row states of the table. However, a graph saved as script to the data table will contain the state of the filter which then can be revoked if running the graph script. No need for "pure scripting" or maybe have misunderstood something.

A global data filter will (unless you check "save and restore current row states") change the current selection/exclusion set by the filter, and if the table is saved and closed the filtered row states will be retained. But not the data filter per se.