cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Steven_Moore
Level VI

Data Table Sorting, Descending

I am having an issue with sorting in the Tabulate platform.  I create a data table after a simple tabulation.  Then, I wish to sort the data by a column (N - the number of items in each category, in this case).  However, no matter whether I click the ascending or descending icon, the table sorts in ascending order.  Anyone else having this problem?

Steve
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Steven_Moore
Level VI

Re: Sorting

FINALLY figured it out!  The default sort is ascending.  Once you choose which column to sort by, you then have to select that column within the "by" box and then change the sorting icon from ascending to decending.

Steve

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
robot
Level VI

Hi smoore2,

On JMP11, to my knowledge, the tabulate function is not able to directly sort by descending N value.  But, by creating a new data table from the tabulated data (using the red triangle), the new data table can be sorted in whatever manner desired.

9424_Untitled.jpg

Steven_Moore
Level VI

Actually, I am having this problem in any platform.  I tried an experiment with a new table and mocked up some data to sort.  I can only get the sort to work for ascending, not descending.  Even if I click the descending icon, the sort is performed ascending,

Steve
mpb
mpb
Level VII

I'm assuming you are using Tables > Sort on a data table. As long as I remember to select the By variable as entered into the sort dialog before I click the Descending icon I am able to sort descending by that variable. If I forget to do that then clicking the descending icon does not change the sort direction to  descending.

Steven_Moore
Level VI

FINALLY figured it out!  The default sort is ascending.  Once you choose which column to sort by, you then have to select that column within the "by" box and then change the sorting icon from ascending to decending.

Steve