BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
lwx228
Regular Contributor

Can files in JMP format achieve the function of extracting files without opening files or appending

Hello, everyone!
Take Big Class.jmp as an example, whether JSL can achieve the following functions:
1. Add new data for each column in the last row of file Big Class.jmp without opening Big Class.jmp.
2. In the case that Big Class.jmp is not opened, can the data of each column aged 13 and weighing between 90 and 100 be extracted?

It's like a database function.Thanks!

2018-12-12_17-21-15.png

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
lwx228
Regular Contributor

Re: Can files in JMP format achieve the function of extracting files without opening files or append

• The new data files to be added should be:

2018-12-12_17-27-13.png

0 Kudos
Craige_Hales
Staff (Retired)

Re: Can files in JMP format achieve the function of extracting files without opening files or append

JMP data tables are designed to be read and written from JMP. They are loaded into memory, modified, and saved. Two users can't do that at the same time; the second person that saves will overwrite the first persons changes.

You can use JMP's SQL support to do what you describe.

dbc = Create Database Connection( "DSN=homedb" );
dt = Execute SQL( dbc,
    "
INSERT INTO stories ( name, story, grade) VALUES
  ( 'aaa', 'ddd', '98' ),
  ( 'bbb', 'eee', '97' ),
  ( 'ccc', 'fff', '96' );
  "
);

Open Database( "DSN=homedb;", "SELECT * from stories", "stories" );

Capture.PNGseveral rows added, several times

Craige
lwx228
Regular Contributor

Thank Craige!
Nor do I intend to extract and append data at the same time.

But I can't understand the method you provided above.

Now let's take appending new data to file "Big Class.jmp" as an example.
Thank you very much for your continued guidance.
0 Kudos
lwx228
Regular Contributor

I am not familiar with how JMP USES SQL methods.
0 Kudos
Craige_Hales
Staff (Retired)

I may have misunderstood your question. 

You can use JMP to open a table, add rows, delete rows, select rows, make subsets, save the table.

You can't do that without opening the table.

SQL is a query language for a database. 

https://www.jmp.com/support/help/14/sql.shtml

Databases may be more than you need (big learning curve ahead). 

What problem are you trying to solve?

Craige
0 Kudos
lwx228
Regular Contributor

My actual application is to produce new data every day. To add these new data to the total file in the same "big.jmp" .

I wonder if I can add new data to it without opening "big.jmp".
Just like a database.

Thank Craige!
0 Kudos
lwx228
Regular Contributor

I know the "not open", just only I can't see it open, but it's actually open in the background.
Just like excel's VBA USES ADO.

It's just "big.jmp" is Big and how I can implement it and quickly add new data to it.
thank you!
0 Kudos
Craige_Hales
Staff (Retired)

What sort of process generates your data, JMP or an external program?

How many rows and cols do you anticipate?

What speed requirement do you have?

Try making a test table and see if open/add rows/close can meet your requirement.

What analysis will you be doing? Does it need all the data? Can the append and the analysis be done with a single open?

Craige
0 Kudos
lwx228
Regular Contributor

Here's my situation:
Copy the data from other places to the paste board every day, then open the JMP software, create a new JMP file, calculate with JSL, and get the same new data with the structure of column “big.jmp”, and add the new data to the last row of “big.jmp”.

Now “big.jmp” is almost 5 million rows.

Best regards!
0 Kudos