Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
Annie-Baxter
Level I

Calculating sample size for a single sided test with a single point limit test criteria

Hello!
I am trying to determine a sample size for a test I am designing.

My test pass/fail criteria is that all samples in a batch I am measuring should be greater than 5V measurement (single sided test). If any sample in a batch is measured less than 5V, then the test is a fail. My alpha risk for the test is only 5% and beta risk is 5% ? How do I go about calculating for its sample size?

Thank you!

Annie

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Kevin_Anderson
Level VI

Re: Calculating sample size for a single sided test with a single point limit test criteria

Hi, Annie!

It's not possible to answer your question adequately with the information you've provided.

I strongly recommend that you consult with a statistician about your specific issues, but if I'm guessing correctly, it sounds to me like you may wish to structure your test as a tolerance limit problem.  Meeker, Hahn, and Escobar have an excellent treatise of the subject in their book Statistical Intervals: A Guide for Practitioners and Researchers, 2nd Edition, and they detail sample size calculations for distribution-free tolerance intervals.

Good luck.

Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.