cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
RicardoCosta
Level II

Browser can't load interactive HTML files

Hi all,

Did anyone get a problem opening interactive HTML files ?

I have a 4Mb journal (with lots JMP graphs) that, when converted to interactive HTML, can't be opened with any type of browser. 

I already tried chrome, firefox and IE. None of them could open the JMP generated interactive HTML.

I'm using JMP 15.1.

Thanks in advance

Ricardo Costa
5 REPLIES 5
txnelson
Super User

Re: Browser can't load interactive HTML files

My suggestion is to take this issue to JMP support

support@jmp.com

You should be able to get the large html file to them, and they will then be able to have the development staff help with the debugging(if necessary)

Jim
RicardoCosta
Level II

Hi txnelson

Thanks for the feedback. I've just identified a segment of the journal that, when converted to dynamic HTML, led to a non-openable file.

I will forward all the info to JMP support. 

Thanks again.

Ricardo Costa
LWDiener
Level I

Hi Ricardo,

I'm seeing the same issue on a smaller file.  Can you describe the section that appears to be causing the problem so I can modify my report whilst awaiting a permanent solution?

Thank you,

Larry

jthi
Super User

I have had couple of these issues. Most of them have either been related to too big .html files and takes too long to open OR special characters/combinations in the JMP datatable which get saved to .html and browsers don't like them (you can try checking browsers developer tools to find issues). In cases with special characters I have usually just removed those characters from datatable for quick fix.

At least for me this will cause issues:

Names Default To Here(1);

dt = New Table("Untitled 19",
	Add Rows(4),
	Compress File When Saved(1),
	New Column("Column 1",
		Numeric,
		"Continuous",
		Format("Best", 12),
		Set Values([1, 2, 3, .])
	),
	New Column("Column 2",
		Character,
		"Nominal",
		Set Values({"c:\2", "a", "b", ""}),
		Set Display Width(65)
	),
	Set Label Columns(:Column 2)
);

nw = New Window("test",
	Graph Builder(
		Size(534, 456),
		Show Control Panel(0),
		Variables(X(:Column 1), Y(:Column 2)),
		Elements(Points(X, Y, Legend(3)))
	)
);
nw << Save Interactive HTML("$TEMP/deleteme.html");
Close(dt, no save);

Open("$TEMP");

Checking browser developer tools the issue is: "Uncaught SyntaxError: Octal escape sequences are not allowed in strict mode". Most likely related to this: c:\2 (it will work if you remove either \ or the numbers immediately after it). Hopefully I don't tag wrong person for Interactive HTML reports but @John_Powell_JMP  

-Jarmo

The issue with special characters mentioned by @jt2 has been fixed in JMP 16.

Issues with large files or complex reports, will still exist since browsers often don't have the resources and speed of desktop applications.  Working with tech support, we can tell if the issue is due to size or complexity.

~John