cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
TannerE
Level II

Binning alarm limit failures

I am new to JMP and could use some guidance here. I have 6 columns: Tool ID, Measurement 1, Measurement 2, Measurement 3, Measurement 4, Measurement 5. Each measurement has a unique limit that, when exceeded, stops the tool. I want to create a bar chart that shows how many times each individual measurement exceeds its' applicable limit. Is there a way to associate a limit value to a column and bin the number of times that limit is exceeded? Additionally I need to be able to brake it down by Tool ID. Is there a way to dynamically color the individual bars to show how much each tool contributes to the binned number? 

Does what I'm trying to accomplish make sense?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
jthi
Super User

Re: Binning alarm limit failures

Where do you have your limits saved?

If your starting data is like this:

jthi_0-1655303414928.png

I would stack it by Measurements (Tables/Stack) and then add limits to the new table (maybe with Join, depends where and how you are getting the limits). Then create a formula to check if value in data is out of spec

jthi_3-1655303560800.png

and after this you can start playing around with different options in graph builder

jthi_8-1655303857526.png

Other option could be to use Spec Limits column properties to set the limits to your original data and then use Process Screening platform:

jthi_6-1655303755418.png

-Jarmo

View solution in original post

jthi
Super User

Could your limit column (or data) column be Character data type instead of numeric what it should be? You can also simplify the formula a little by leaving If out if you only need 1 and 0 values

Names Default To Here(1);

Show(If(1 < 2, 1, 0));
Show(1 < 2);

-Jarmo

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jthi
Super User

Where do you have your limits saved?

If your starting data is like this:

jthi_0-1655303414928.png

I would stack it by Measurements (Tables/Stack) and then add limits to the new table (maybe with Join, depends where and how you are getting the limits). Then create a formula to check if value in data is out of spec

jthi_3-1655303560800.png

and after this you can start playing around with different options in graph builder

jthi_8-1655303857526.png

Other option could be to use Spec Limits column properties to set the limits to your original data and then use Process Screening platform:

jthi_6-1655303755418.png

-Jarmo
TannerE
Level II

So the measurements each have their own individual columns (column names left to right: Tool, measurement 1, measurement 2, measurement 3, measurement 4, measurement 5). The limits are known but not currently part of the spreadsheet. The tool and measurement data is pulled from a database using SQL in query builder. I think I could create 5 more columns that each contain the alarm limit for their own associated column, but I worry that will mess with the database's ability to automatically update the file. Not ideal. Is there a way to mathematically compare a column against a number to out put a Boolean true or false, then bin the trues? The end result will look exactly like what you have shown, I just can't input the limits in the way you did. 

jthi
Super User

To my knowledge you cannot set the values on a column to 0 or 1 based on specification limits (at least not directly from any interactive platforms). Also I'm not really sure why database would have any issues updating the original data table when you would be creating different table for reporting purposes. But you could use the original data and:

1. Set Spec Limits column properties
  2. Using process screening platform
  3. Create a data table from process screening's results
  4. Then plot that

Or you could create new columns for each of the measurements which would then tell if that specific measurement is outside limits or not for that row

-Jarmo
TannerE
Level II

I just realized that I misread your initial response. It is very helpful. Thank you for your help with this!

TannerE
Level II

I was able to get it to this point, but for some reason, when I type in the final formula to compare the data to the limit, nothing appears in the Fail Count column. I have tried a couple different ways to no success. How do I fix this? Once again, thank you so much for helping with this.

TannerE_0-1655825490406.png

TannerE_1-1655825650665.png

jthi
Super User

Could your limit column (or data) column be Character data type instead of numeric what it should be? You can also simplify the formula a little by leaving If out if you only need 1 and 0 values

Names Default To Here(1);

Show(If(1 < 2, 1, 0));
Show(1 < 2);

-Jarmo
TannerE
Level II

Yes! The Data column was a Character data type. Thank you!