cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
frankderuyck
Level VI

Analysis of a Split Plot & Random effect DOE with Generalized regression

Is it possible to perform a good analysis of split plot/random effect DOE's with generalized regression? It can't handle random effects as is done with REML so is there a way to analyse correctly?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Phil_Kay
Staff

Re: Analysis of a Split Plot & Random effect DOE with Generalized regression

Hi Frank,

Have you tried running the analysis in Generalized Regression? You will find that you get an error if you try to run a model with a random effect using Generalized Regression personality:

Phil_Kay_0-1668083929871.png

The simple answer is no.

I have had a few people ask me about model selection for designed experiment analysis when you have random effects (usually due to blocking, but the same applies for whole plot random effects). I recorded a short video tutorial that might be useful.

I hope this helps,

Phil

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
statman
Super User

I'm not sure exactly what question you are asking, but I suggest you read the following papers for ideas on how split-plots should be analyzed.

Box, G.E.P., Stephen Jones (1992), “Split-plot designs for robust product experimentation”, Journal of Applied Statistics, Vol. 19, No. 1

Bisgaard, Søren, (2000), “The Design and Analysis of 2 k-p X 2 q-r Split Plot Experiments”, Journal of Quality Technology, Vol. 32, No. 1, January

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box
frankderuyck
Level VI

Thanks! The Bisgaard article looks interesting. My question simply is if split plot result analysis is possible with generalized regression, a great tool but I don't know if applicable on DOE results with random effets. 

A split-plot experiment designed by JMP Custom Design should save a Model table script that will launch an analysis with a valid mixed effects model.

frankderuyck
Level VI

Can I use generalized regression with lasso or elastic net to analyse the split plot DOE results?

Phil_Kay
Staff

Hi Frank,

Have you tried running the analysis in Generalized Regression? You will find that you get an error if you try to run a model with a random effect using Generalized Regression personality:

Phil_Kay_0-1668083929871.png

The simple answer is no.

I have had a few people ask me about model selection for designed experiment analysis when you have random effects (usually due to blocking, but the same applies for whole plot random effects). I recorded a short video tutorial that might be useful.

I hope this helps,

Phil

frankderuyck
Level VI

I know random effects do't work in generalized but I thought there might be away to overcome so I guess not. 

statman
Super User

By random effects do you mean estimates of "pure error"? Random effects associated with which plot?  WP or SP? or both?  You should be looking at each plot separately.

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box
Phil_Kay
Staff

Hi @frankderuyck ,

No, there are "workarounds", as I mention in the video that I linked to. But they are only workarounds. There is no way to include random effects in the Gen Reg platform.

frankderuyck
Level VI

Maybe it is better to use prior to REML Generalized regression with fixed random effects instead of Stepwise.