cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
prossman
Level I

Adding Constraints to Coefficients in Regression Models

I am working on a market mix model and the impact of promotions on sales. I would expect the coefficients to be positive or 0, but some of the models are producing negative coefficients.

Is there a way to add a constraint to the coefficients of some variables to force them to be positive?

Thanks!

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kevin_Anderson
Level VI

Re: Adding Constraints to Coefficients in Regression Models

Paul, you can use the Parameter Bounds pulldown in the Nonlinear platform, specify the bounds you wish, and then iteratively fit a linear model.

The Nonlinear platform will make you specify a model in the Formula Editor and supply some Initial Values for the parameters.  You won't enjoy some of the model diagnostics you might be using in another platform (R^2, for instance, is not provided for nonlinear models), but at least you can constrain the parameters appropriately and (if your model converges) get a hopefully useful answer.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Kevin_Anderson
Level VI

Paul, you can use the Parameter Bounds pulldown in the Nonlinear platform, specify the bounds you wish, and then iteratively fit a linear model.

The Nonlinear platform will make you specify a model in the Formula Editor and supply some Initial Values for the parameters.  You won't enjoy some of the model diagnostics you might be using in another platform (R^2, for instance, is not provided for nonlinear models), but at least you can constrain the parameters appropriately and (if your model converges) get a hopefully useful answer.

prossman
Level I

Thanks. This worked perfectly.