cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
prossman
Level I

Adding Constraints to Coefficients in Regression Models

I am working on a market mix model and the impact of promotions on sales. I would expect the coefficients to be positive or 0, but some of the models are producing negative coefficients.

Is there a way to add a constraint to the coefficients of some variables to force them to be positive?

Thanks!

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kevin_Anderson
Level VI

Re: Adding Constraints to Coefficients in Regression Models

Paul, you can use the Parameter Bounds pulldown in the Nonlinear platform, specify the bounds you wish, and then iteratively fit a linear model.

The Nonlinear platform will make you specify a model in the Formula Editor and supply some Initial Values for the parameters.  You won't enjoy some of the model diagnostics you might be using in another platform (R^2, for instance, is not provided for nonlinear models), but at least you can constrain the parameters appropriately and (if your model converges) get a hopefully useful answer.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Kevin_Anderson
Level VI

Paul, you can use the Parameter Bounds pulldown in the Nonlinear platform, specify the bounds you wish, and then iteratively fit a linear model.

The Nonlinear platform will make you specify a model in the Formula Editor and supply some Initial Values for the parameters.  You won't enjoy some of the model diagnostics you might be using in another platform (R^2, for instance, is not provided for nonlinear models), but at least you can constrain the parameters appropriately and (if your model converges) get a hopefully useful answer.

prossman
Level I

Thanks. This worked perfectly.