Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Navigating Your Data Workflow: Workflow Builder Grants Your Wishes for Data Cleanup (2023-EU-30MP-1262)

What if you could save time in your process of collecting data, cleaning it, and readying it to begin your analysis? Accessing data and preparing it for review is often the most time-consuming part of creating a new data analysis or project. With that in mind, we would like to introduce the Workflow Builder in JMP® 17. With this exciting new feature, JMP users can now record their entire process from beginning to end, starting with accessing data from multiple sources. Working with the action recorder (added in JMP® 16 to track steps and provide scripts that can be saved and reused), Workflow Builder tracks all your changes in data prep and cleanup, data analysis, and reporting. In this presentation, we will show how to operate the Workflow Builder, save each action, and then replay and share them in a polished report. This is sure to become your new favorite feature in JMP 17. No manual cleanup means extra time in your day!

Hi,  I'm  Mandy  Chambers,  and  I'm  a  Principal  Test  Engineer  in  the  JMP  Development  team.  I  want  to  talk  to  you  today  about  navigating  your  data  workflow.  The   Workflow Builder  is  new  for  JMP  17,  and  I  think  it  can  grant  all  your  wishes  for  your  data  cleanup.

The   Workflow Builder  is  the  ability  to  record  your  JMP  data  prep  and  analysis  workflows.  It  tracks  all  your  changes  that  you  make,  cleaning  up  and  reporting.  It  records  your  steps  and  you  can  use  them  over  and  over  again.  It  allows  you  to  save  your  data  and  your  workflows,  package  them  together  nicely,  and  share  them  easily  with  others.  It  also  is  just  going  to  save  you  lots  and  lots  of  time  in  your  day.

This  is  a  screenshot  of  the   Workflow Builder.  It's  listed  underneath  the  File  menu  system  in  JMP,  File,  New,  New  workflow.  You  need  to  open  a  data  table  or  import  data  to  begin  and  you  will  be  prompted  with  a  question  that  says,  Do  you  want  to  record?  When  you  say  yes,  then  the  screen  on  the  right  will  show  you  that,  like  in  this  case,  we  opened  Big  Class  and  it  will  be  recorded.

I'm  going  to  get  into  this  today  and  show  you  as  much  as  I  can.  You  can  see  here  there's  lots  and  lots  of  stuff  happening.  There  are  step  settings,  there  are  navigation  buttons,  there  are  images,  and  so  much  more.  I  probably  can't  hit  everything  today,  but  I'm  going  to  do  my  best  to  try  to  show  you.  Let's  get  right  to  the  demo  and  I'll  get  started.

This  is  a  new  utility.  I  do  think  it  saves  you  time  and  it  allows  you  to  do  clicks  instead  of  coding.  I  think  that's  really  cool  and  I  think  for  a  new  JMP  user,  especially,  this  is  going  to  really  make  their  life  easy.

Great  job  to  JMP  for  building   up  ways  that  we  can  capture  JSL.  In  16,  JMP  introduced  the   Action Recorder,  and  now  in  17,  we  give  you  the   Workflow Builder  along  with  even  more  JSL  added  to  the   Action Recorder.  The   Workflow Builder  allows  the  JSL  to  be  saved  and  the  steps  replayed  as  well  as  shared.  A gain,  no  coding  is  really  required  unless  you  want  to  add  that.

I'm  going  to  get  right  into  this  by  showing  you  a  workflow.  This  is  a  workflow  that  I  saved  as  a  demo.  Most  of  these  examples,  I  have  tried  to  use  sample  data  so  that  you  can  go  back  yourself  and  maybe  try  some  of  these.  I'm  using  the  food  journal  data  table  from  JMP.  I'm  recoding  a  column,  I'm  changing  a  column  properties  order,  and  then  I  ran  a   Text Explorer  report.

You  see  the  buttons  here  at  the  top,  and  this  is  a  saved  workflow.  I'm  going  to  just  click  this  middle  button  which  says  to  execute  the  workflow  and  run  it  so  you  can  see  how  quickly  it  runs.

Notice  a  couple  of  things  here  really  quickly.  Over  here  on  the  right,  you  see  these  little  images  pop  up.  A ll  that  is  simply,  if  I  click  on  that,  is  it's  a  screenshot  of  each  of  the  steps.  It  doesn't  really  do  anything.  It's  a  screenshot.  It  just  shows  you  what's  in  there.  Again,  if  I  click  this  one,  this  is  the  column  where  I  changed  the  column  property.  That's  nice  to  have  in  case  you  don't  remember  what  you  did.

The  little  green  check  is  the  check  that  says  the  step  executed  properly.  If  it  didn't  execute  properly,  you  would  get  a  red  X,  so  you  would  know  something  didn't  work  right.

Now,  I'm  going  to  recreate  this  for  us.  Looking  at  this   Workflow Builder  here,  I  had  created  my  local  data  filter  is  why  I  changed  the  order.  I  wanted  it  to  be  in  this  order.  I  hung  out  on  this  late  snack  thing  because  I  was  looking  and  thinking,  "Good  heavens,  if  I  had  cappuccino,  moko,  and  chocolate,  and  candy,  and  sugar  at  night,  I  would  never  go  to  sleep."  I  don't  know  about  you,  but  anyway.

Let's  close  this  up.  That's  this  little  reset  button  right  here,  closes  everything  in  the  workflow.  Then  I'm  going  to  go  up  under  the  File  menu  system.  I'm  going  to  click  New  and  I'm  going  to  go  down  here  and  click  New  workflow.  Here's  my  new  workflow.  Let's  observe  a  couple  of  things  here  real  quick  before  I  get  started.

This  is  the  little  record  button,  as  I  said,  so  we'll  put  that...  I'm  not  going  to  push  that.  I'm  going  to  show  you  how  that  executes.  But  you  have  places  where  you  can  get  data  from.  The  JMP  Log  history  over  here,  I  had  reduced  it  down  just  because  I  didn't  want  to  see  it  while  my  workflows  are  running.

But  throughout  the  day,  you  could  open  the   Workflow Builder  and  you  could  just  use  it  all  day  long  and  it  will  stack  your  statements  down  here  in  increments  of  10  minutes,  an  hour,  two  hours.  It'll  save  things.  You'll  even  have  something  if  you  left  it  up  that  would  show  that  it  was  done  yesterday.

You  could  come  back  to  this  and  you  could  grab  statements  and  all  you  have  to  do  is  grab  them  and  hit  this  arrow.  You  can  push  them  up  or  you  can  grab  them  and  drag  them  or  copy  and   right-click,  I  believe,  and  copy  and  go  up  and  paste  them  in.  All  sorts  of  ways  to  get  things  into  your   Workflow Builder.  I'm  going  to   right-click  here  and  delete  this.  I'm  going  to  cut  it  out  because  I  want  to  do  this  the  other  way.

Let's  get  out  to  my  JMP  home  window  and  just  simply  open  my  food  journal.  There's  the  button  I  told  you  you  would  get  that  says,  "Hey,  do  you  want  to  record  this?"  I'm  going  to  go  yes.  Notice  that  in  the   Workflow Builder  right  here,  the  little  red  dot  is  now  hollowed  out.  I  am  in  record  mode,  so  everything  I  do  will  be  recorded.

I'm  going  to  quickly  go  in  here,  so  I  can  make  sure  I  get  through  a  lot  of  examples.  I'm  going  to  recode  this  and  I'm  going  to  go  in  and  I'm  going  to  do  it  in  place  because  I  don't  want  an  extra  column.  I'm  not  going  to  type  a  whole  bunch  of  stuff  this  time.  I'm  just  going  to  convert  this  to  upper  case  so  it  makes  the  change  and  I'm  going  to  recode  it.

Then  I'm  going  to  go  in  and  I'm  going  to  go  to  my  column  info  and  I'm  going  to  go  down  and  add  value  ordering  on  this.  Now  I'm  going  to  re order  this  to  where  I  have  breakfast  first.  I've  got  an  AM  snack.  I  need  lunch  to  move  up  here.  I  need  a  PM  snack  to  be  after  lunch,  then  I  have  dinner,  then  I  have  a  late  snack.  There's  my  ordering  I  wanted.

You'll  see  that  those  steps  have  been  recorded.  There's  my  open,  there's  my  recode,  there's  my  change  of  column  property.  Now  I'm  just  going  to  grab  this   Graph Builder  here  is  the  one  I  think  I  read.  That's  easy.  Then  I  don't  have  to  recreate  a  lot  of  stuff.  I'm  going  to  add  a  local  data  filter  and  I'm  going  to  use  that  meal  column.

Again,  here's  the  order  I  wanted.  If  I  click  on  this,  I  get  a  slightly  different  view.  It's  not  a   Text Explorer,  but  you  can  see  here,  here's  the  column  for  chocolate  and  of  course,  it  has  the  most  calories.  One  of  my  favorite  things  is  chocolate.

Anyway,  notice  that  this   Graph Builder  is  not  recorded  yet  in  the   Workflow Builder.  Platforms  don't  get  recorded  right  away,  but  it  records  after  you  close  the   Graph Builder,  or  we  added  a  button  under  here.  If  you  want  to  save  the  script,  you  can  save  it  to  the  workflow.  But  for  all  I'm  doing  today,  I'm  just  going  to  close  it.  There  it's  been  written  to  the   Workflow Builder.

The  other  place  that  you  can  go  and  grab  stuff,  and  this  is  one  of  the  things  I  love  about  the   Action Recorder.  If  I  wanted  to,  I  can  go  over  here  and  you  can  click  on  these  steps  as  well  now.  Under  this  red  triangle  menu,  you  can  save  the  script  and  say  add  it  to  the  workflow.  You  could  always  go  over  there  and  get  something  if  you  needed  to.

Let's  stop  recording.  Let's  hit  the  reset  button  and  let's  close  this  thing.  Now,  let's  run  it  and  it  should  run  exactly  the  same  way  as  the  first  one.  I  did  a  little  bit  different  platform,  but  you  can  see  that  column  has  been  recoded  and  there's  my   Graph Builder.  Now,  we  have  created  your  first   Workflow Builder.  The  first is  as  simple  as  that.

Moving  on  to  a  second  example  I  have.  Let's  look  at  this  virtual  join  example  I  created.  I  used  the  Pizzas  examples  from  the  sample  data  library.  If  you're  not  familiar  with  virtual  join.  I'll  give  you  a  crash  course  here  in  a  minute  or  less.

But  I  opened  the  tables,  I  created  link  IDs,  which  you  need  with  virtual  join,  and  then  I  created  link  reference  columns  and  I  simply  ran  a   Graph Builder.  I'm  going  to  run  this  and  then  I'm  going  to  show  you  some  things  about  it.  I'm  going  to  tweak  it  a  little  bit,  show  you  how  we  can  clean  up  the   Workflow Builder.

Here's  virtual  join  in  30  seconds  or  less.  A  link  ID  is  created  in  pizza  subjects  there.  A  link  ID  is  created  in  the  profiles  here.  Then  I  went  to  pizza  references,  which  is  what  I  like  to  call  my  main  table  with  virtual  join.  A ll  my  references  are  set  up  this  way.  All  of  these  steps  I  did  do  manually.  It  was  all  saved  in  the   Workflow Builder  and  created,  and  then  I  simply  ran  this  graph.

That's  that.  Ways  that  you  could  clean  this  up  as  a  presentation  is  if  I  was  showing  this  to  somebody,  they  don't  really  care  about  seeing  the  data  tables  and  all  that  stuff.  They  would  be  more  interested  in  my  graph  and  maybe  if  I  did  a  distribution  or  a  tabulate,  the  reporting  I  would  get.  I'm  going  to  show  you  a  way  to  go  in  here  and  do  some  things  on  the  right  hand  side  here  of  the   Workflow Builder.

You  open  the  step  settings  and  this  is  where  all  the  magic  happens.  When  you're  doing  these  things,  the  JSL  is  getting  is  saved.  This  is  where  it's  happening  and  we  have  some  additional  buttons  over  here  of  things  we  can  do.  Like  I  said,  I  really  don't  care  very  much  about  the  table  showing,  so  there's  a  nice  little  option  in  here  called  hide  tables.

I'm  going  to  click  this  and  I'm  going  to  go  down  and  add  hide  tables  to  every  one  of  these  so  that  it  quickly  hides  those  three  tables  and  I  don't  have  to  worry  about  that  anymore.

The  other  thing  that's  nice  is  that  these  steps  right  here  are  actions  are  all  doing  things  to  the  data  tables.  I'm  going  to  select  these  and  I'm  going  to  right -click  and  I'm  going  to  say  group  those  selected  things  together  and  it  will  put  them  in  a  little  group.  I'm  going  to  name  this  something.  They're  going  to  always  be  called  group,  group  one,  group  two  so  you  might  want  to  name  them  something  that  means  something  to  you.  I'm  going  to  call  them  link  ID  and  link  reference.

The  nice  thing  about  this  is  as  you're  building  workflow,  I  can  reduce  this  down.  Your  workflows  could  be  really  long.  If  I  reduce  this  down,  I  have  a  lot  more  space.  You  can  do  groups  within  groups.  That's  nice  too.  Anyway,  I'm  going  to  expand  this  for  right  now.

Then  you  probably  remember  when  I  ran  this,  it  ran  really  fast.  My  final  step  is  a   Graph Builder,  and  I  want  it  to  hesitate  just  a  little  bit  so  you  can  see  it  hesitates.  I'm  going  to  go  in  here  and  add  a  custom  action.  This  is  where  the  coding  comes  in.  If  you  do  know  JSL,  I'm  going  to  add  a  wait  statement  here,  and  I  want  the  wait  to  happen  before  my  step,  so  it's  going  to  be  right  here.

You  do  have  the  ability  in  this  to  use  the  arrows  to  push  things  down,  to  push  things  up.  You  have  a  little  bitty  trash  can  right  here,  so  if  you  add  something,  you  can  delete  it.  You  also  can  simply  leave  something  in  and  uncheck  it,  and  that  actually  works  really  well,  too.  I'm  going  to  go  in  here  and  this  is  where  because  I  know  JSL,  I'm  going  to  type  a  wait  statement  just  as  simple  as  that.

Let's  close  this  up  and  let's  run  it  and  let's  watch.  There's  the  hesitation  and  there's  the   Graph Builder.  Let  me  close  it  one  more  time  and  get  you  look  right  here  and  look  for  a  little  running  man  when  I  run  this.  I'm  going  to  execute  it.  There's  the  running  man  and  there's  the   Graph Builder.  You  can  see  that  this  is  much  more  presentable  if  I'm  doing  something.  Again,  if  I  had  other  reports  I  wanted  to  show,  that  would  work  really  well.

A  couple  more  things  you  can  do.  Obviously,  when  you  create  a  workflow,  you  save  it  up  here  by  saying  File,  Save  or  Save  As  and  give  it  a  name.  Every  workflow  has  an  ending  of  a . jmp  flow.  If  you  want  to  create  a  Journal,  the  developer  was  cool  in  creating  something  called  Add  Steps  to  Journal.  You  get  this  right  here,  which  is  nice.

Journals  are  nice,  but  they're  hard  sometimes  to  make.  This  is  nice.  Each  step  is  in  here.  The  code  is  in  here.  You  could  run  it,  you  could  clear  it,  you  can  look  at  it.  I've  got  a  thumbnail  down  here  for  my   Graph Builder,  and  if  I  click  this,  I  get  the  full -size   Graph Builder.  Really  nice  feature  to  add  that  in  there.

The  other  thing  I  wanted  to  point  out  is  if  you  go  up  to  the  red  triangle,  you  have  the  ability  to  save  the  script  to  the  script  window.  This  is  the  entire  script  for  doing  all  of  these  things  we've  just  done.  Even  the  hide  function  is  added  at  the  top  to  hide  with  the  tables.  The  only  thing  that  you  need  to  know  is  that  this  will  run  just  like  JMP  would  run  prior  to  JMP  17  without  a   Workflow Builder.

This  script  does  not  rebuild  the   Workflow Builder  window.  The  only  way  you  can  use  the  window  is  through  the  UI.  But  it's  nice  if  you  want  the  script  or  you  just  want  to  save  it  that  way,  then  you  have  that  ability  to  do  that.

Moving  on.  The  next   Workflow Builder  I  wanted  to  show  you  was  an  educational  type.  Let's  look  at  this  one.  This  was  done  by  Peter  Hersh.  He  did  something  much  more  complicated  and  I  took  it  and  made  one  of  my  own.  But  basically,  it's  a  workflow  that  opens  a  data  table,  it  runs  a  distribution.  It  goes  out  to  a  particular  section  like  right  here,  and  it's  using  what  we  call  a  show  message  window,  a  model  window  where  it  stops.  I  put  in  a  definition  for  quantiles  that  I  took  right  out  of  JMP  book  because  I  don't  know  that  stuff.  Then  I  said,  okay,  and  I  did  a  second  definition  which  is  showing  just  a  summary  of  these  are  the  other  stats  that  are  listed  in  the  summary  statistics.

Kind  of  a  nice  thing  to  do  here.  Notice  a  couple  of  things  about  this  workflow.  I'm  going  to  close  this  up.  Notice  I  don't  have  a  red  button.  If  I  go  here  and  say  File,  New,  New  workflow  again,  I  don't  have  a  red  button  and  I  don't  have  the  JMP  Log  history.  When  I  set  this  up,  I  put  this  in  something  called  presentation  mode.  That's  first  thing  under  the  red  triangle.  You'll  see,  if  I  uncheck  that,  those  objects  come  back.

But  I  didn't  feel  like  for  this  thing,  you  actually  need  that  in  there  so  I  turned  it  off  because  it's  really  something  you're  using  for  teaching.  The  other  thing  that  you  can  also  do  in  here  is  you  can  duplicate  a  workflow.  You  can  just  open  a  new  one  and  this  would  be  one  where  you  could  change  something.

Let's  make  a  couple  of  changes  here  because  I  just  want  to  show  you  how  nice  this  is  that  this  will  be  able  to  be  changed.  I'm  going  to  go  and  get  a  different  JMP  table.  I'm  going  to  go  get  the  Cleansing  table.  Then  I'm  going  to  show  you  how  this  is  set  up  inside  of  the  report.

The  report  step  code  was  to  run  the  distribution,  which  I  will  have  to  change  this  as  well  to  be  the  same  table.  Then  I  need  to  change  the  column  that  in  this  table  is  called  pH.  The  dispatch  for  the  quantiles  will  have  to  be  pH  as  well.  This  was  assigned,  the  distribution  is  run,  but  then  it's  been  assigned.  This  is  a  little  JSL  where  it  was  assigned  to  a  report.

Then  the  show  message  window,  which  you  grab  from  here,  this  is  how  this  is  added,  was  added  in  here.  You  give  it  a  title,  which  is  the  title  of  the  message  window  is  client  tiles,  and  there's  where  I  pasted  the  definition.  Then  your  next  step  is  to  clear.  It's  another  JSL  step  to  select  your  report  and  deselect  it.  Then  you  go  on  and  select  the  second  section  of  the  report,  which  is  the  summary  statistics.

I  need  to  change  this  again  to  pH.  Then  at  the  end,  here's  my  second  show  message  window  that  was  added.  You  can  add  as  many  of  these  as  you  want  to.  It's a  model  window  so  that  it  will  stop  and  wait  for  you  to  do  something.  If  I've  made  these  changes  correctly,  let's  run  this.  There  you  can  see  there's  the  Cleansing  table,  there's  the  pH  column  with  the  distribution.

I'm  selecting  the  definition  of  the  quantiles,  and  I'm  going  on  and  using  the  definition  for  the  summary  statistics  at  the  bottom.  A  really  nice  feature  here,  really  cool  thing  that  you  can  actually  do  with  teaching,  I  think.  I  think  there's  going  to  be  a  lot  of  people  that  enjoy  using  that.

Workflow  subset  is  also  a  really  cool  thing.  You  can  create  a  subset  of  a  workflow  by  going  into  here  and  selecting  temporary  subset,  or  you  can  actually  do  it  on  the  right  hand  side  where  you  open  a  table,  you  add  an  action,  and  you  say  subset  in  here,  which  is  what  I've  already  done  with  this.

Here's  my  subset.  You  get  this  little  window  whether  you  do  it  from  the  temporary  side  or  whether  you  do  it  here  and  it's  stored  right  here  always,  just  so  you  know.  But  we  built  in  some  selections  here.  Your  selections  are  to  get  all  the  table,  50 %  of  the  table,  25 %  or  whatever,  and  that's  what  I've  checked.  These  are  choices.  This  is  going  to  make  a  lot  more  sense  for  a  table  that's  really  big.

This  is  great  because  you  can  run  some  analysis  on  some  of  the  table,  maybe  that's  big.  Then  when  you're  all  done  with  capturing  everything,  you  would  go  back  and  maybe  change  it  back  to  all  of  your  data  and  it  should  work  seamlessly.  What  I  did  here  was  I'm  using  something  everybody's  probably  really  familiar  with  consumer  prefs,  and  there's  about  446  rows,  so  I'm  using  25 %.

I'm  going  to  run  this  and  I  just  ran  a  categorical  platform.  You  can  see  here,  this  is  the  output  from  this  on  just  112  rows.  That's  all  it  used  in  this  case.  Now,  I'm  going  to  close  this  up  and  go  over  here  and  say,  "Okay,  let's  just  say  I'm  done  with  what  I  want  to  do  and  I  don't  need  a  subset  anymore."

Well,  I  can  go  back  here  and  delete  this  with  the  trash  can,  or  I  could  simply  just  uncheck  it  this  time  and  basically  run  it  again  because  I  might  want  to  do  something  later  with  it.  Now  when  I  run  it  again,  you  can  actually  see  right  here  that  you  get  the  448  rows.  Okay,  that's  how  many  are  in  there.  You  get  your  full  platform,  you  get  all  the  data  analysis.  I  think  people  are  going  to  get  a  lot  of  mileage  out  of  that  as  well.  Being  able  to  do  the  subset,  especially  if  you're  using  millions  of  rows  of  data,  I  think  that  will  be  very,  very  helpful.

One  more  thing  I  forgot   just  then.  Let  me  show  you  quickly  how  to  create  a  workflow  package.  If  you  go  in  here,  last  thing  in  the  menu  is  to  create  a  package.  The  difference  in  saving  a  workflow  locally  and  creating  a  packages  locally,  it's  for  you.  So  it's  going  to  go  wherever  you  put  things  on  your  drive,  on  your  Mac  or  Windows  or  wherever.  But  when  you  create  the  package,  it  creates  a  little  temporary  place  and  you  can  package  it  together  and  send  it  to  somebody  and  it  should  work  seamlessly  for  them.

What  this  is  telling  me  is  that  I  need  to  have  this  data  source  of  consumer  prefs  attached  to  this  for  it  to  work.  There's  that  little  button  I  told  you  about  that  said  presentation  mode.  If  you  were  giving  it  to  somebody  and  they  didn't  really  want  them  to  change  anything,  you  could  check  that  or  you  don't  have  to  check  that.

Let's  say,  okay,  and  I'm  going  to  name  this  workflow  package,  just  let  it  default.  It  adds  the  same . jmp  flow  to  the  end.  I'm  going  to  save  it  here.  Then  what  I  want  to  do  is  go  back  and  hopefully  I  can  find  it.  There  it  is.  I'm  going  to  open  it  and  I  want  to  show  you  real  quickly  how  it  saves  that.  It  did  do  presentation  mode,  but  just  so  you  can  see,  here's  the  temp  consumer  prefs.

Just  to  prove  that  it  runs,  there's  this  and  it  runs  the  same  way.  Really  nice  feature.  Packaging  is  great  for  sharing  stuff  with  other  coworkers,  sending  reports  and  that  thing.

The  generalized  workflow  is  another  really  nice  utility  that  I  think  people  are  going  to  use.  This  particular  example  starts  out  by  not  opening  a  data  table.  It  was  built  with  a  template  data  table  and  and  I  ran  a  distribution.  If  there's  things  you  like  to  do  every  day,  like  let's  say  you  run  a  couple  of  distributions  and  maybe  you  run  your  favorite   Graph Builder  and  you're  always  doing  the  same  analysis  over  and  over  in  a  given  day  on  all  your  data,  this  is  the  way  to  set  this  up.

The  way  you  set  this  up  is  you  go  under  the  red  triangle  menu  to  References,  and  you  click  this  little  button  that  says  Manage.  Now  I'm  in  this  Managing  window  and  you  can  see  here  this  is  where  I  use  this  ANOVA  template  JMP  table.  I  typed  in  this  prompt  that  says  select  the  table  that  I  want  to  use  for  analysis.  I  asked  the  mode  to  be  every  time  I  run  this,  I  want  it  to  prompt  me.

Then  I  had  three  columns  in  that  table  that  I  used  for  my  three  analysis  variables.  For  every  one  of  them,  I'm  saying  each  run,  select  a  column  for  analysis.  I'm  going  to  be  prompted  for  that.  Then  you  save  this  and  this  reference  is  all  set  up  for  this  particular  workflow.  Let's  run  this  real  quick  and  let's  see.  Here's  my  choose  table  thing  right  here.  Let's  go  other.

It's  giving  me  an  option  to  go  out  here  and  I'm  going  to  go  to  my  data  table  and  I've  got  a  couple  of  things  I  wanted  to  try  to  show.  I'm  going  to  grab  hybrid  fuel  economy  here.  Here's  my  prompts,  what  columns  would  I  like  to  use?  The  first  one  I  want  to  do  is  combined  in  BG  and  then  I  want  to  go  and  grab  engine  and  then  I  want  to  grab  the  number  of  cylinders.

Here's  my  three  distributions,  and  then  I've  got  my  favorite  box  plot.  That's  just  showing  one.  Just  for  fun,  I  wanted  to  show  you  a  second  one.  Again,  hybrid  fuel  economy  is  open,  and  so  I'm  going  to  select  other,  and  I'm  going  to  go  to  the  sample  data  again,  and  I'm  going  to  look  for  Titanic  passengers  and  open  this.

Then  I'm  going  to  go  in  here  and  select  I  want  age,  and  then  I  want  sex,  and  then  I  want  passenger  class.  A gain,  here's  my  favorite  box  plot  and  here  are  my  distributions  and  everything  ran  exactly  like  I  wanted  it  to.  Really  good  thing  to  use  reference  manager  in  order  to  build  a  template  out.

Notice  when  I  close  this,  this  didn't  close  the  tables.  The  reason  it  doesn't  close  those  tables  is  because  those  tables,  there's  not  a  statement  in  here  that  says  open  a  table.  We  opened  those  tables  from  the  file  menu  system,  so  I'll  just  simply  go  up  and  close  those  myself.

The  final  example  I  want  to  show  you  is  something  that  is   Workflow Builder.  We  had  some  comments  about  people  wanting  to  use  workflows  for  archived  projects.  This  is  a  project  I  did  back  in  2015,  16  when  I  started  with  JMP,  and  I  think  I  showed  this  another  time  and  mentioned  that  I  had  been  working  six  years,  and  I  went  back  the  other  day  and  thought,  Wait,  that's  like  eight  years.  I  can't  count,  but  other  than  that.

But  this  is  something  where  I  went  out  to  a  website,  I  read  in  data  on  nesting  in  North  Carolina,  and  it  would  continue  to  change.  You  would  read  it  throughout  the  summer  and  I  did  some  work  down  at  Oak  Island,  which  is  a  beach  where  we  go  often.

Anyway,  I  had  saved  all  of  these  scripts  in  a  folder  that  I  worked  on.  I  thought,  I'm  going  to  try   Workflow Builder  with  this  and  see  what  happens.  Basically,  instead  of  opening  a  table  first,  what  I  ended  up  doing  is  I  went  out  and  I  used  the  custom  action  field  where  it  says  add  custom  action  under  here  as  my  very  first  step.

My  first  few  steps,  I  went  and  took  my  script  and  I  pasted  the  script  I  had  saved  inside  of  this  window.  This  is  what's  in  here.  At  the  bottom,  I'm  saving  a  table.  The  data  that  I  was  actually  using  in  this,  all  I  had  to  do  was  go  to  the  same  web  page  and  change  it  to  2020,  2021,  2022.  That's  what  I  did.  Then  there's  a  turtle  species  table  where  you  go  and  do  the  same  thing.

Basically,  I  read  these  tables  in  and  then  I  went  to  the   Workflow Builder  and  I  said,  Okay,  now  what  I  want  to  do.  Once  I  got  them  in,  I  started  building  my  steps.  I  concatenated  the  table.  I  thought,  well,  I  don't  need  those  original  tables,  so  I  closed  columns  so  they  get  closed.  I  added  some  columns.  I  created  a  change  here.  I  hid  and  excluded  some  totals  I  didn't  need  and  then  I  ran  my  platforms.

I'm  going  to  run  this  so  you  can  see.  The  cool  thing  about  the  platform  runs  that  I'm  going  to  show  you  is  that  these  are  scripts  that  I  didn't  have  to  change  at  all.  As  long  as  my  columns  were  named  the  same  thing,  I  just  took  the  scripts  and  copying  and  pasted  them  right  into  here  and  they  worked  beautifully  just  like  they  did  eight  years  ago.

Notice  in  this  workflow  here  at  the  bottom,  these  two  steps  right  here  are  italicized  and  grayed  out.  The  reason  they're  in  there  is  because  I  didn't  want  to  show  them  today.  If  I  right -click  on  this,  you'll  notice  that  the  step  enabled  button  is  not  checked.  I'm  going  to  check  it  just  so  you  can  see  that  change.  Now  that  changes  so  that  it's  dark  and  it's  like  everything  else.

A  nice  feature  that  you  can  do  this  because  as  I  was  looking  at  this,  I  thought,  "Well,  I  don't  want  to  show  this  today,  but  I  might  want  to  keep  them.  I  don't  want  to  delete  them."  This  turns  it  off  so  it  won't  run,  but  I  don't  have  to  necessarily  get  rid  of  it.

Let's  run  this.  Pay  attention  at  the  top.  This  is  a  good  example  to  watch  the  little  running  man  that  pops  up  here.  It  takes  a  minute.  You  see  him  because  they're  going  out  to  the  internet,  it's  actually  getting  data.  This  little  part  goes  a  little  slower,  but  then  it  takes  off  and  goes  very  fast.  But  once  the  data  is  in  here,  then  everything  else  runs  really  fast.

Really  nice  that  script  all  worked.  Here's  my  data.  I  have  this  turtle  nesting  data  showing  May,  June,  July,  and  August  for  each  of  these  years, 2020,  20 2 1  and  2022.  Nesting  just  for  a  case  study  and  point  tends  to  trend  up,  and  then  the  next  year  it  might  go  down.

Again,  it  did  that.  If  you  go  back  and  look  at  data  from  way  back,  it's  just  up  and  down,  up  and  down.  But  2022  was  a  pretty  good  year  for  nesting  in  North  Carolina.  Then  this  was  a  really  cool  graph  that  I  had  before  that  I  loved.  It's  a  bubble  plot,  but  I  went  out  and  grabbed  a  turtle  SVG  file  and  plugged  the  turtles  in  for  the  bubble  plot.

This  is  showing  nests  totals  with  false  crawls, and  just  false  crawls  are  when  a  turtle  comes  out  to  lay  her  eggs  and  then  she's  scared  or  something  and  she  doesn't  lay  or  she  changes  her  mind.  They're  usually  pretty  even  numbers  on  a  certain  beach,  they'll  be  pretty  close  to  each  other.  That's  why  this  bubble  plot  is  cool  the  way  it  works.  It's  showing  the  nesting  totals  with  the  false  crawls.

I'm  interested  in  this  turtle  right  here  because  that's  Oak  Island  where  I  said  that  I  go  to  the  beach  and  I  did  some  work  down  there  with  them  back  in  2015,  '16.  Kind  of  a  fun  graph.  Kind of neat that this  is  an  archived  project  and  it  actually  works  now.  It's  a  good  way  to  record  and  save  stuff.

That's  all  I  have  today.  I  just  want  to  say  that  I  want  to  thank  the  development  staff  for  working  so  hard  on  designing  this.  Hernes  Pessour,  David  White,  and  Evan  McCorkle,  just  to  name  a  few.  Julian  Paris  was  instrumental  during  the  design  phase  and  advisement  of  this.  I  do  have  a  reference  down  here  for  the  sea  turtles  if  you're  actually  interested.

In   closing,  I  just  want  to  say  I  think   Workflow Builder  is  the  best  new  feature  for  JMP  17,  but  I'm  a  little  biased,  but  I  do  believe  it's  going  to  save  you  time  with  less  coding  and  more  clicking.  I  think  you're  going  to  get  more  and  more  out  of  reusing  recorded  and  repetitive  steps.  It  should  simplify  your  work  efforts,  and  then  it  will  definitely  accelerate  your  daily  processes,  leaving  you  much  more  time  in  your  day.

Thank  you  for  listening  today.  Thank  you  for  letting  me  share  with  you  about  the   Workflow Builder.  Please  try  it  out.  Please  let  us  know  what  you  think  and  we'll  look  forward  to  hearing  your  feedback.