cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Subsetting using "Subset by" naming option

What inspired this wish list request? 

More intelligible table names when the option "Subset by" is used. Consecutive numerical naming, along with the deletion of the Subset by column creates datasets that have had data deleted and can be difficult to name properly.

What is the improvement you would like to see? 

An option to append the data that has been appended into the subset name.

For example:  If I have a data table that includes a column :Fruit of fruit names and I want to create a subset for each fruit (given the output name of "Fruit"), right now I'd use --> subset > Subset by :Fruit. This would output data tables that have the name "Fruit 1", "Fruit 2", etc.  The data of which fruit each data table has been created for has been lost, since the column with this information has been deleted in this process.  I'm suggesting the following:

If I have a data table that includes a column :Fruit of fruit names and I want to create a subset for each fruit (given the output name of "Fruit"), right now I'd use --> subset > Subset by :Fruit. This would output data tables that have the name "Fruit Apple", "Fruit Orange", etc.

Why is this idea important? 

This would help keep information, rather than deleting it, creating predictable output tables names for calling later in scripting for further processing.

4 Comments
jthi
Super User

At least in JMP17 the information isn't lost (it seems to be saved as table variable), but I think (optional) naming which would use the value which the subsetting has been done by would be helpful. JMP17 seems to be able to do that subsetting already with the name BUT there is some sort of a bug (using JMP17.0, not sure about 17.1).

Preview does show sex=F and sex=M

jthi_1-1682757888851.png

but I end up with Untitled 2.jmp 1 and Untitled 2.jmp 2 (there is sex table variable)

jthi_2-1682757921869.png

If I go back to subsetting, use Recall and recreate the tables I do get tables named sex=M and sex=F (maybe it would be nice to also see what the original table was?)

jthi_3-1682757966736.png

jthi_4-1682757980663.png

If I recall and then change "Output table name" option the names will get updated and I would guess this is the "bug" which is happening if you don't use recall

jthi_5-1682758095121.png

Status changed to: Acknowledged

Hello! Yes, I believe this is a bug and we are currently investigating this issue.  Thank you for bringing this to our attention! 

Jasean
Staff

Hi.  I have an update on this issue.  It is, in fact, a bug that affects only version 17.0.  It is fixed in version 17.1 which is available now.  Please upgrade to get the desired results.  Thanks for the feedback.

Status changed to: Delivered

Hi all. I am marking this issue as delivered since it is fixed in 17.1. Please let me know if you want to re-open this request for any reason or if we have misunderstood your request. Thank you!