cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
0 Kudos

Organize F Keys and Shortcut Keys and display current F keys on a toolbar

Propose adding more organization and displaying of assigned F keys (like F1 through F12 on most keyboards) and other shortcut keys. Currently using JMP16.2.

I saw in recent JMP Discovery Summit presentations the great idea to add your own shortcut keys. (Jed Campbell's "Using JMP for Everyday Automation (2022-US-30MP-1143)"  https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discovery-Summit-Americas-2022/Using-JMP-for-Everyday-Automation-2022-U...

I have a mac keyboard for work-from-home remoting into my PC at work, so many short cut keys do not translate exactly. I found that there are unused F keys, so I assigned the Scripting Index to F2. I see when you customize the menu bar, JMP does know what is assigned. 

Vball247_0-1663853363588.png

Some software like the open-source Freeplane allows you to display an "F-bar" for all the function keys, and easily assign to unused ones. Would propose JMP allow easier tracking under View > Toolbars, and then some shortcut toolbars, other than just the pdf "Quick Reference Guide". Possibly also a category under Preferences. Bigger wish would be to organize F keys AND all known short cut keys, and also track when users update those (like New > Script is CTRL-T, which I use a lot to start a quick script, and Jed used CTRL-shift-X for the Scripting Index in his presentation).

Current F keys:

F1 JMP Help

F3 Edit > Search > Find Next

F6 Rows > Previous Selected

F7 Rows > Next Selected

F8 Submit to SAS

F9 Window > Reveal

F2, F4, F5, F10, F11, F12 not assigned in JMP16.2 (I do not know if Pro has others assigned)

By the way, this assignment is stored in your "usercust.jmpcust" file:

<jm:menu_and_toolbar_customizations xmlns:jm="http://www.jmp.com/ns/menu" version="3">

<jm:insert_in_main_menu>

<jm:insert_in_menu>

<jm:name>HELP</jm:name>

<jm:customization target="SCRIPTING INDEX">

<jm:accel>F2</jm:accel>

</jm:customization>

</jm:insert_in_menu>

</jm:insert_in_main_menu>

</jm:menu_and_toolbar_customizations>

6 Comments
Status changed to: Acknowledged

@Vball247 - Thank you for your suggestion! We have captured your request and will take it under consideration.

Status changed to: Investigating

@Vball247  - There is a workaround using the Mac OS Keyboard Preferences. Let me know if this works for you! 

https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discussions/Keyboard-shortcuts/m-p/183574/highlight/true#M40301

The post says:
"
Go to: Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts -> App Shortcuts.

1. Then click "+" at the bottom of the right pane, select "JMP 14.app" (or whatever) for application
  2. For "Menu Title", put in the menu you want to assign, e.g. for Select Matching Cells under Rows, enter "Rows->Row Selection->Select Matching Cells"
  3. Click in the Keyboard Shortcut field and type the keyboard shortcut you want to use

The OS will automatically show you the shortcut in the menu now."

Vball247
Level V

Alas, no. We have Windows computers at work for JMP, not Mac's, and I was also looking for a solution for all our JMP users at work. I assume there is no equivalent in Windows 10 for this Mac feature, none that I could find. I did try it out on my Mac at home which is very interesting that it can add app menu items.

Still requesting a solution for Windows users. Thanks!

@Vball247 Thank you for your feedback! If you go to this link and scroll down to the section "Step 5: Assign a Shortcut Key (Optional)", it will explain how to do this on Windows.  Let me know if this does not solve your problem and I will pass this on to development to take a closer look. 

Vball247
Level V

Thanks. That is what I already did to assign a shortcut key, already saw that in the Discovery Summit presentation. But this is a bigger wish. "Some software like the open-source Freeplane allows you to display an "F-bar" for all the function keys, and easily assign to unused ones. Would propose JMP allow easier tracking under View > Toolbars", and then a new toolbar that shows all the shortcuts of F keys. So this would be a special tool bar that shows like this:

_________   _____________

| F1             |   | F2                  |   F3                F4                   F5                 F6                            F7                    F8                      ... 

|JMP Help  |   |Scripting Index|   Find Next     Unassigned    Unassigned  Previous Selected   Next Selected  Submit to SAS   ...

So if I want to remind myself of what F keys are assigned or unassigned, this would show if I selected this option to show this toolbar along with other toolbars. Instead of going to the menu item and seeing that F3 is the Find Next function under Edit > Search > Find Next (F3). 

Status changed to: Not Planned For Now

@Vball247 - Although we do not plan to deliver this request now, we are holding onto it for a future release and will update this issue if it becomes a priority. Thank you for the great idea!