cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
0 Kudos

Add the power of 10 scientific format to the standard number formats in JMP

I would like to suggest that you add the power of 10 scientific format to the standard number formats in JMP - for tables, graphs.

The format in question looks like this: 1 × 10⁴

7 Comments
Status changed to: Acknowledged

@yevgen - Thank you for your suggestion! We have captured your request and will take it under consideration.

SamGardner
Staff
Status changed to: Needs Info

@yevgen thank you for the idea.  Can I ask what is your reason for wanting this format?  Can you provide more details?  

yevgen
Level I

It is the most common scientific number format we use in natural sciences. You can look at all the peer-reviewed papers and see it used everywhere. Thank you so much for considering implementing it.

Status changed to: Investigating

Thank you for the information! We are evaluating this for future release. 

Hello @yevgen. We are still evaluating this request for inclusion in a future release.  In the meantime, one of our developers has provided a workaround. You can do custom formats in JMP with JSL.  Here is an example with GB axis:

Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/CrimeData.jmp" );
Graph Builder(
	Variables( X( :Year ), Y( :Population ) ),
	Elements( Points( X, Y, Legend( 6 ) ), Smoother( X, Y, Legend( 7 ) ) ),
	SendToReport( Dispatch( {}, "Population", ScaleBox,
		{Format( "Custom",
			Formula(
				Local( {supers = "⁰¹²³⁴⁵⁶⁷⁸⁹", d, parts},
					parts = Words( Format( value, "Scientific", width, dec ), "e" );
					Substitute Into( parts[2], "+", "", "-", "⁻" );
					For( d = 0, d <= 9, d++,
						Substitute Into( parts[2], Char( d ), Substr( supers, d + 1, 1 ))
					);
					parts[1] || " × 10" || parts[2];
				)
			)
		), Min( 0 ), Max( 39248000 ), Inc( 5000000 ), Minor Ticks( 0 )}
	))
);

See more Reply All: Scientific notation such as 6.02×10²³ using custom axis formats 
This is not the ideal solution, but I wanted to let you know in case you want to give it a try.  I will update you once we have prioritized your request. 

Status changed to: Yes, Stay Tuned!

Hi @yevgen , we plan to make this available in JMP 18! You will be able to find it in Scientific and Engineering column formats and in the Axis settings. 

Great news!

Echo @yevgen

It is the most common scientific number format we use in natural sciences. You can look at all the peer-reviewed papers and see it used everywhere.

FYI @InaWanner.