cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
0 Kudos

M1 MacBook R/Python Integration

Recently purchased an M1 MacBook since the R/Python rendering and workflows are insanely quick. However, JMP does not support the integration of these chips. Seems like a big roadblock since I need the M1 MacBook for my specific use case (Apple Silicon). 

9 Comments
Status changed to: Acknowledged

Hi @MikeDereviankin, thank you for your suggestion! We have captured your request and will take it under consideration.

SamGardner
Staff
Status changed to: Investigating

@MikeDereviankin thanks for the input, and we are looking into this.  Questions like this can also be sent to our Technical Support, see www.jmp.com/support

SamGardner
Staff

Have you see this technical note?

Special requirements for the JMP® Python integration on Apple silicon (M1) machines 

From our developers, You do have to pick the Universal binary Install not the Intel only install from Python.org. You should be using Python.org version of Python.

MikeDereviankin
Level IV

@SamGardner How about R? Does JMP have a connection to R on M1 machines? 

SamGardner
Staff

I just checked, and on my M1 Mac, I have R 4.1.2, aarch64-apple-darwin20 (64-bit), and I was able to connect to R with a development build of  JMP 17.1.  But in JMP 16.2 I was not able to.  Still waiting to here from development on this.  Will get back to you when I have more information.

SamGardner
Staff

I did just find this Tech Support Note:  JMP® stops responding while connecting to the R 4.1.2 ARM build on M1 chipsets 

Looks like for prior to JMP 17, you need to install R for Intel chip, but this will be fixed in JMP 17.1 which will be released to customers later this early spring.  

SamGardner
Staff

From our developers:  Python support has been there Pre 17.1 for both x86_64 and Apple Silicon. It became available as soon as the Universal2 builds of Python were released. I believe the Python works even back in the JMP 16.x builds. However, the user must to install the Universal2 version of the Python.org install which contains both x86_64 and Apple Silicon binaries.

SamGardner
Staff
Status changed to: Delivered

Paul_Nelson
Staff

JMP 18.0 is now shipping, which includes an embedded Python 3.11.5 Python.org based distribution, Apple Silicon and Intel on Mac, Intel on Windows.  No configuration necessary, works immediately on install.  However, the installed embedded Python is now the only Python that is supported within JMP.  Think of it as a private JMP Python virtual environment.

Ability to directly in-memory access, modify and create data tables from Python.