cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Add native connectors to access different database types

Dear all,

I really started to love jmp since I was able to import my data from our database (Oracle, mysql) by some query scripts automatically/efficiently. But as far as I know, only method is to use ODBC connectors provided by the operating system (Win10 in my case, using JMP 14.0).

Now we are trying to use additional data sources like mongoDB, MS Asure in cloud and others, and it seems that jmp is very limited deriving data therefrom. I know, for mongoDB there is an odbc driver, I'm about to install. And via python I could also get some data from these sources, but would require a python installation for every user.

So IMHO it would be neccesary for future releases to add some native connectors to jmp. At least as a starting point in the scripting environment.

When looking at other products (like tableau, but I have no access), I'm getting a bit jealousy to the rich support of data sources.

https://www.tableau.com/products/desktop#data-sources

Thanks and best regards, Georg

4 Comments
AokiMarcel
Level II

that's the most requested feature in my company also, different data sources that do not have an ODBC driver.

Status changed to: New

Thanks for this wish and it's great to see the kudos and comment here. I just want to add a couple of notes to this wish and also pose a question.

Broadly and not perfectly, JMP gets data from three sources:

• Traditional databases (Oracle, mysql, SQL server) using a ODBC driver and the Query Builder as you've noted above.
  • Flat Files (.jmp, including data created in JMP through a DOE,.csv, .xlsx, .pdf etc.)
  • And most recently web server-based programming interfaces.

We've added several data connectors for this last category in recent versions of JMP: Google Sheets, SAS Cloud Analytic Services (CAS), and JMP Live.

We also have a general-purpose function HTTP Request (); which lets you connect to REST endpoints, get data and return JSON, which JMP knows how to turn into a data table. This could be used for the mongoDB request above using their Query API.

Expanding our library of data connectors is on the roadmap, but we need to know where organizations are storing their data outside of traditional relational databases. If we get enough requests for specific data connectors, we will prioritize the work in subsequent versions of JMP.

The vision: Where scientists and engineerings and their organizations are storing data, make it as easy as File -> Open to get those data.

WhatEver
Level I

Hallo all,

is there any new development on this topic?

My IT is also asking for native connectors. They told me that ODBC is actually "old fashioned" and might be discontinued in future. Moreover, their effort for support and maintenance could be reduced.

Best regards

Status changed to: Acknowledged