cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
xiaoyaj0
Level III

unique variance for each variable in multiple regression

In the attached dataset and screenshot, I am trying to find the effect of prior academic achievement and SES on current achievement for students. How could I find the unique variance/semipartial correlation for each variance? I know it is not the square of standard beta for the variable. Any ideas? Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jiancao
Staff

Re: unique variance for each variable in multiple regression

JMP doesn't report semipartial correlations directly, but they can be calculated from regressions.

For example,  to get the semipartial correlation for socioeconomic status, first, run two regressions as shown in the screenshots.

12954_pastedImage_0.png12955_pastedImage_1.png

Then take the sqrt of the difference in RSquare values between the two models, i..e. sqrt(0.723934-0.715378)=0.0925. This indicates the "unique" contribution of socioeconomic status as a predictor.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
jiancao
Staff

Re: unique variance for each variable in multiple regression

JMP doesn't report semipartial correlations directly, but they can be calculated from regressions.

For example,  to get the semipartial correlation for socioeconomic status, first, run two regressions as shown in the screenshots.

12954_pastedImage_0.png12955_pastedImage_1.png

Then take the sqrt of the difference in RSquare values between the two models, i..e. sqrt(0.723934-0.715378)=0.0925. This indicates the "unique" contribution of socioeconomic status as a predictor.