Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

separators in addin menu

dghidoni2

Community Trekker

May 31, 2013

Hello

I'm playing with the addin module to make some routines more user-friendly, but I can't find a detailed guide of the addin.jmpcust syntax.

Does anyone know how to add a separator between items of the menu, or how to move the menu from the standard "Add-Ins" menu to another menu of choice?

thanks

PS: and requirements for the icon?

6 REPLIES
David_Burnham

Super User

Jul 13, 2011

It sounds like you are trying to edit the jmpcust file directly?

This file is created when you customise the menus in JMP (View>Customize>Menus and Toolbars.  The functionality you are looking for should be apparent from the user interface e.g. right-click to insert - there is an option to insert a separator

Dave

-Dave
dghidoni2

Community Trekker

May 31, 2013

exact, I'm trying to edit the file directly, because I want to distribute internally the addin so the separator should be there right out of the box.

It is fundamentally an xml file, so it's not so difficult to reverse engineer.

I found how to place the addin in a separate menu instead of inside the addin-menu and now I will try to obtain the separator syntax.

I will update the thread with my findings, if anyone is interested.

David_Burnham

Super User

Jul 13, 2011

I think you missed the point I was trying to make.  There is no need to reverse engineer the file.  You can customize the menus interactively, and then distribute the jmpcust file a part of your add-in.

-Dave
dghidoni2

Community Trekker

May 31, 2013

now I understand your point, but the usercust.jmpcust that you generate through the customize menu appears to be more an update than a full feature addin.jmpcust.

It does not contain the menu and commands specified in the addin.jmpcust of the addin, but only the modification done in the customize, so it should be applied after the addin installation, whereas I prefer to have a single clean installation that does it all.

but fortunately it contains the <jm:separator/> tag (yes, I told it was simple), so I can now manually edit the addin.jmpcust hehehe

thank you

Jeff_Perkinson

Community Manager

Jun 23, 2011

I still think there is some confusion here. There really is no reason to edit the addin.jmpcust by hand, and, in fact, that is unsupported.

If you haven't already, read through this blog post, especially the part about customizing menus. Your customization for the add in menu can contain multiple items, separators or anything else.

If there's still some reason that you're unable to get things to work without editing the file by hand, please send me a note, so I can understand what we may have missed in the design here. We'd like to correct it in a future release if there's an usage pattern we haven't planned for.

Thanks!

Jeff Perkinson

JMP Customer Care Manager

Jeff.Perkinson@jmp.com

-Jeff
dghidoni2

Community Trekker

May 31, 2013

ok, I have read the blog entry.

I fully understand the way of doing you both are talking, but still this seems (to me) not to completetly address my thinking.

But since it could absolutely be that I'm doing some mistake, or that I think to understand but not really understanding, and since my desire is only for a "cosmetic" mod (everything else of the addin is working flawless) I agree to stop the thread here and continue privately.

I'll write you a mail lately

thanks