cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Françoise
Level V

row editor

Hi,

when we use row editor we have the information on all columns for a line.

Is it possible to configure the row editor only on certain columns and have the photo displayed if we have a column with photos ?

best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
nascif_jmp
Level VI

Re: row editor

Q: "thanks for your reply, I tested and I have the following message "alert. Nothing to display".

I have several colums labelled."

A: This is because it picks up the first labelled column it finds to build a data filter. I just found out that this approach does not work for picture columns. A simple solution is to open the table and reorder the columns so that the first label column from left to right has a categorical or numerical type. I will code something more robust later. Once the LabelViewer window is up you can change the filter.

Q: "Question: Is the hover label editor (than I discover with your message) able to look for a photo in a folder of photos (*.jpeg), to put it inside the hover label for the correct line. It will be more simple and it will avoid a database too big."

A:Yes. It can even fetch pictures from a web site. But that needs a bit of JSL. There is an example showing how to get images from Wikipedia here:
Documentation is here:
A simple example of displaying an image from disk would use the Picture attribute of the Set Graphlet command to build the image file name from the execution context (which includes the values of the labeled variables), open it and pass the result to a PictureBox, like so:
Set Graphlet(
  Picture(PictureBox(Open( cwd || local:_Species || ".jpg", "jpg"))),
  Click(Web( "file://" || cwd || local:_Species || ".jpg" ))
)
Please see the attached IrisLocalImages.zip for a complete example.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
txnelson
Super User

The Row Editor will display photos

roweditor.PNG

but it always displays all columns.  You could write a simple script that would handle your request.I also suggest that you add your request to the JMP Wish List, so it can be reviewed for possible addition to a future release.

Jim
Françoise
Level V

hi,

thanks for your answer Jim.

but, the image is too small as in your copy screen.

and how to access to the script of the editor?

I would like to change the size of the image and make a selection for the columns.

best regards

txnelson
Super User

It is my assumption that the Row Editor is a C++ piece of code that does not have a script behind it. You will have to write the script from scratch.
Jim
Françoise
Level V

ok Jim, thanks for your answer.

all the best

nascif_jmp
Level VI

Hi @Françoise,

This is not exactly what you are asking about but is close: the LabelViewer Addin will show only the labeled columns for a given row, and has support for controlling the size of the images it displays: Label Viewer: exploring multiple images and text associated with a single visual element using Hover... 

I designed it to be launched from a graph hover label, but since it is all based in JSL, it could probably be adapted to be launched directly from the table. It contains a Local Data Filter which you can use to control the scope of the rows displayed. Give it a try and let me know how it goes.
Françoise
Level V

Hi,

thanks for your answer.

I understandt hat I must adapt and use the script "labelviewer.jsl".

is this good?

I start in Scripting and this script seems complicated to me.

It will be difficult to do it !

best regards

nascif_jmp
Level VI

@Françoise Fair enough. Please check the Addin page again. I just attached an adapter file named "LabelViewer_dt.jsl". Once you have the Addin installed, you just have to open e execute that script and it will open the LabelViewer window for the current window. It assumes that the data table has at least one labeled column. If you want to see images, their columns have to be labeled also. Here is what it displays for SAS Office:

labelviewer_dt.PNG

You can control what is displayed using the filter, number of rows displayed per page, size of the images, and layout (horizontal vs vertical).
Françoise
Level V

Hi,

thanks for your reply, I tested and I have the following message "alert. Nothing to display".

I have several colums labelled.

I have an another question: when I have a file with photos, I import the photos in a column with the expression format in a JMP database. This requires to compress the photos (to avoid a database too big when you have many and  many photos), importing them and attaching them to the right line with a common identifier in Jmp. You need time to do it.

Question: Is the hover label editor (than I discover with your message) able to look for a photo in a folder of photos (*.jpeg), to put it inside the hover label for the correct line. It will be more simple and it will avoid a database too big.

we all need to resize the photo inside the hover label.

best regard

nascif_jmp
Level VI

Q: "thanks for your reply, I tested and I have the following message "alert. Nothing to display".

I have several colums labelled."

A: This is because it picks up the first labelled column it finds to build a data filter. I just found out that this approach does not work for picture columns. A simple solution is to open the table and reorder the columns so that the first label column from left to right has a categorical or numerical type. I will code something more robust later. Once the LabelViewer window is up you can change the filter.

Q: "Question: Is the hover label editor (than I discover with your message) able to look for a photo in a folder of photos (*.jpeg), to put it inside the hover label for the correct line. It will be more simple and it will avoid a database too big."

A:Yes. It can even fetch pictures from a web site. But that needs a bit of JSL. There is an example showing how to get images from Wikipedia here:
Documentation is here:
A simple example of displaying an image from disk would use the Picture attribute of the Set Graphlet command to build the image file name from the execution context (which includes the values of the labeled variables), open it and pass the result to a PictureBox, like so:
Set Graphlet(
  Picture(PictureBox(Open( cwd || local:_Species || ".jpg", "jpg"))),
  Click(Web( "file://" || cwd || local:_Species || ".jpg" ))
)
Please see the attached IrisLocalImages.zip for a complete example.